2.5 | 𝐀𝐭𝐭𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐢𝐠𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐬

~🌊~{[CHAPTER FIVE]}~🌊~

[Attack Of The Pigeons]

The next few days were torture, just like Tantalus wanted.

First there was Tyson moving into the Poseidon cabin, giggling to himself every fifteen seconds and saying,

"Percy is my brother?" like he'd just won the lottery.

"Aw, Tyson," Percy would say. "It's not that simple."

But there was no explaining it to him. He was in heaven. And Percy ... as much as he liked the big guy, he couldn't help feeling embarrassed. Ashamed. There, he said it. His father, the all-powerful Poseidon, had got moony-eyed for some nature spirit, and Tyson had been the result. He'd read the myths about Cyclopes. He even remembered that they were often Poseidon's children. But he'd never really processed that this made them his ... family. Until he had Tyson living with him in the next bunk. And then there were the comments from the other campers. 

Suddenly, he wasn't Percy Jackson, the cool guy who'd retrieved Zeus's lightning bolt last summer.

Now he was Percy Jackson, the poor schmuck with the ugly monster for a brother.

"He's not my real brother!" he protested whenever Tyson wasn't around. "He's more like a half-brother on the monstrous side of the family. Like ... a half-brother twice removed, or something."

Nobody bought it.

Percy admitted – he was angry at his dad. He felt like being his son was now a joke. Annabeth tried to make him feel better. She suggested they team up for the chariot race to take their minds off their problems. Don't get him wrong – they both hated Tantalus and they were worried sick about camp – but they didn't know what to do about it. Until they could come up with some brilliant plan to save Thalia's tree, they figured they might as well go along with the races. After all, Annabeth's mom, Athena, had invented the chariot, and Percy's dad had created horses. Together they would own that track.

~🌊~

One morning, Daisy came and sat down on the grass next to them.

"Hide me, quick," she begged. The two obliged, shifting so they were in front of her as Tantalus strolled by, smirking evilly.

"What's wrong?" Annabeth asked, once had had walked past.

"My father's got Tantalus out looking all over for me; he wants to make sure I'm not hanging out with you guys," Daisy explained.

Percy thought that was really unfair. "You should be allowed to hang out with whoever you want!"

"Yes, but he thinks you guys are bad influences, so I've got old nanny Tantalus on my trail - honestly, he thinks I'm still three!" She said indignantly.