chapter 16

Caius finally reached us, his breathing slightly labored from the hurried approach. "Wait," he repeated, his voice softer this time.

"Wait, Ms. Ava," he called after Seraphina, his tone urgent.

Seraphina turned to face him, a hint of weariness in her expression after enduring his persistent attentions throughout the voyage. "Yes, Mr. Reynolds?" she replied, her voice polite but guarded.

Caius approached us, his demeanor suddenly more serious. "Where will you be lodging in Emberia?" he inquired, his eyes searching hers.

Seraphina hesitated for a moment before responding, "I have arrangements already made," she answered vaguely, declining his offer for accommodation.

But Caius persisted, his expression souring slightly as he glanced at me, as if noticing me for the first time. "And who is he?" he asked, his tone tinged with suspicion.

I stepped forward, standing by Seraphina's side. "I'm Liam," I introduced myself, offering a firm handshake to Caius. "Ava's companion."

Caius's expression softened slightly, though a hint of annoyance still lingered in his eyes. "Ah, I see," he replied, though his tone lacked sincerity.

As we prepared to depart the ship, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over me, sensing that our encounter with Caius was far from over. But for now, our priority was finding our lodging.

After securing lodging for the night at a cozy inn, Seraphina and I rose early the next day, ready to continue our journey towards Fire Peak Mountain.

With provisions in tow, we embarked on the arduous trek to the east, our path leading us through varying landscapes as we traversed from the southern region.

We made use of carts and wagons where available, but much of the journey required us to rely on our own two feet. The road stretched on endlessly, winding through valleys and forests. As we walked, the terrain gradually shifted, the air growing crisper and the scenery becoming more rugged.

As we arrived in the town called Oakridge, located to the east and nestled at the foot of the Fire Peak Mountain, we sought directions to our final destination. The residents of Oakridge regarded us with curious glances, their expressions tinged with a hint of suspicion as we asked for guidance.

"Excuse me, could you please point us in the direction of the Fire Peak Mountain?" I inquired politely, hoping to elicit helpful information despite the wary looks we received.

The townsfolk exchanged uncertain glances amongst themselves before one of them finally spoke up. "Why would you want to go there?" they asked, their tone cautious.

"We're on a journey," Seraphina interjected smoothly, her voice calm and reassuring. "We seek adventure and discovery in the mountains."

The residents of Oakridge seemed unconvinced, their skepticism evident in their hesitant responses. "Be careful," one of them warned cryptically, their words lingering in the air like an ominous warning.

Despite the strange reception, we thanked the townsfolk for their guidance and set off towards the Fire Peak Mountain, our determination undeterred by the mysterious atmosphere of Oakridge. As we ventured deeper into the rugged wilderness, I couldn't shake the feeling that our journey was about to take an unexpected turn.

As we finally reached the volcanic slopes of Fire Peak Mountain, a sense of awe washed over us. its slopes cloaked in wisps of smoke and the faint glow of molten lava.

Seraphina and I stood at the foot of the mountain, gazing up at its majestic peaks with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. The air crackled with the energy of the volcanic activity, and the ground beneath our feet rumbled ominously.