The Dark Lady's assistant was one of the few people who knew that her Lady was not as much of a dangerous tyrant as people often thought her to be.

She had been there, as a lowly maid, when the Dark Lady had stumbled through the beginning of her reign, trying to get her bearings and trying to do good - while everyone shunned her, feared her, tried to sabotage her, and tried to manipulate and deceive her, all at the same time.

She'd been one of the first people the Dark Lady had helped and asked for nothing in return.

Not even her allegiance or loyalty.

So, in her eyes, the Alpha, the one who'd succeeded in winning over her Lady, was the dangerous element to be watched.

Werewolves were pack-oriented and notoriously primeval in their values and laws. Not to mention brutal. And the worst of them were usually the alphas.

Now usually, she would have no fear of anyone besting her Lady. The Dark Lady's magical power was no joke, and her reputation as an incredibly powerful sorcerer, at least, was completely true. So if this was a fight, a coup, a trap, she knew her Lady would win hands down.

However...matters of the heart were more complicated. So if her Lady loved this Alpha, truly trusted him... magical prowess might not be enough...