To the Dark Lady's surprise, Fidelle later informed her that the knight had stayed for the entrance despite Fidelle's warnings. And he had scored quite highly on the entrance and training modules. So he wouldn't be starting from the lowest tier either. Huh.

He also went against her expectations and still seemed to enthusiastically sing her praises even after two weeks among her knights. (She had rather urgently sent Fidelle to warn him to shut up unless he wanted to be targeted. And when that didn't work, she got Fidelle to tell him that the Dark Lady did not find such constant praises dignified, so he should stop for her sake, which worked.)

Still, she supposed she should have seen the brawl coming between her old knights and him.

Though she hadn't seen that he would win it.

However, this wouldn't be feasible in the long run, unfortunately, or even in the short run. And so, here she was again, with him knelt on one knee in front of her (again, which she did not ask for).

"I heard you fought with the other knights."

"My Lady!" he exclaimed. "Those knaves spoke ill of you when they should've spoken with adoration! How could I not fi -"

"No," she interrupted, calmly yet firmly. "You will not start fights for a few insults."

"But -"

"My honor isn't so fragile as to crumble with some petty words. Are you implying that it is?"

He was struck speechless, possibly for the first time since she had met him.

"By all means, defend yourself or others if a physical altercation comes up," she told him, tone a little gentler. "But don't fight for verbal insults. Certainly not against me. They are not worth my attention, and they are not worth your skills."

"...I understand, My Lady."

"All right. Then please return to whatever you were doing before."

He saluted her, rather more elaborately than warranted, and left -- which luckily freed her to deal with the next thing she had on her neverending list.

She really wished Lin would hurry up with his work and come back.