The Alpha: Come on, it'll be fun!

The Dark Lady: No, it won't.

The Alpha: I've seen your dress. You'll be the belle of the ball.

The Dark Lady: No, I'll be the "Monster" at the ball. They'll either announce me the "Belle" by default, or spend all their time fearing I will destroy them for not choosing me.

The Alpha (slowly approaching her but not touching her): You would certainly deserve to be the belle of the ball... You are always my Belle.

The Dark Lady: ...Thank you...But that doesn't help. I wish I hadn't come...Or that I had shown up just in time to give the toast, or even just at the end of the ball...

The Alpha wants to tell her that she need not go at all. That they may stay in their rooms in each other's company till the end of the ball, and show up only at the end.

But he knows that is not possible. Not when people knew she was already here in the building. They wouldn't start the ball until she arrived, since she held the highest status and title in the land. They would be too afraid of offending her to just get on with the ball without her...  

So he instead steps up to her and bows, one hand extended and raised, palm up, in a request.

The Alpha: Then, My Lady, may I ask for the honor of your first dance? And of every other dance of the night?

She just looks at him for a moment. And he knows that she is simply trying to recalibrate her dark mood, to take stock of if she is up to his request, if she can push past her current sinking mood and play along.

There's a tired sigh before she rests her hand atop his, accepting his request.

The Dark Lady: Sure, I accept. But after the first dance, I'm standing on your feet and you can do all the footwork for both of us.

He grins and raises her hand to his lips for a kiss.

The Alpha: That would be my pleasure.