The Alpha's Deputy: Sir...Is everything all right?

The Alpha: I told you a dozen times to call me, Lin. Or Weylin. Who are you keeping up appearances for here?

The Deputy: Habit, Sir --

The Alpha: Lin.

The Deputy (with sass): Yes, Sir Lin.

The Alpha: When did I get knighted?

The Deputy fantasizes about throwing something at him. But he would not be distracted. He was worried.

The Deputy: ...I just wanted to ask if everything is all right.

The Alpha: Yes. Why do you ask?

The Deputy: It's just...You've been here all day today...

The Alpha: Not all day. I've only been in this office for - (checks phone) - about 4 hours today.

The Deputy: I don't mean the office. I just mean the territory. You've just...You've been here all day.

The Alpha: Oh. Am I not allowed to?

The Deputy: That's not what I meant! Ugh...Look - (he tries to soften his tone) - You haven't visited the Dark Lady at all today. So we were just wondering...if something had happened?

The Alpha: ...Who's "we"?

The Deputy: ...About a little more than half the pack.

The Alpha: ...

The Deputy (heart sinking for his Alpha at the idea of a possible breakup): ...Sir? If there's anything we can do for you...?

The Alpha (sighing): Geez...She told me not to come back till I'd caught up on my responsibilities here.

The Deputy: ...So that's why you've been plowing through the paperwork you've ignored for months.

The Alpha (sighing again): Yes. You should thank her, really. I certainly wouldn't have done this willingly if she hadn't kicked me out.

The Deputy did silently thank the Dark Lady. But he was a good deputy, so he said nothing and went back to work.