THE MAN

The dreams of the forest continued. Something told me that unknown man would help me. This caused me to wake up disoriented. In a few hours the sun would set, so that afternoon it would be extremely dangerous to look for my supposed savior.

The next day I woke up very early, I still felt the presence of the devil, although it was a vague presence. I approached the window with the coming of the sun. I closed my eyes and let the light warm my skin. A few tears fell from the corners of my eyes. I wanted freedom. I went to eat my breakfast and sat looking at my family. They would have been happier without me. I watched them as a way of saying goodbye because I was going back to that forest and would only return home after meeting that man with white hair.

This time, I was careful not to hurt myself by escaping through the window. I took a deep breath and let my courage push me into the trees. I had already walked a lot and was starting to get used to the presence of shadows, but I couldn't spot anything or anyone. I was tired when the sun reached its highest point. About to stop that prolonged search, I heard a strange thump. Could it be the demon? I felt a shiver up my back and moved towards the noise. A few meters away, I took a step back, the house I dreamed of stood before me. I saw a tail move in a corner. Well, there was a horse there. And with hesitation, I approached the animal very slowly. It was a beautiful mare and I had never been this close to one. I wanted to touch that brown fur and the white spot on its head. However, I did not intend to disturb their meal, so as not to incite any abrupt behavior. I analyzed the space around me, looking for anyone else, and just listened to the silence. I once again glimpsed the animal, which raised its head and looked at me. The mare moved slowly and came to sniff me. On instinct, I lightly ran my hand across the neck.

"Hello, little one, how are you?"  I whispered affably. I thought the animal approved of my invasion because I felt its relaxation. "You're very beautiful, did you know that?"

"What do you think you're doing?"

I stopped and walked away, almost tripping over my own feet. The mare snorted. That extremely deep voice scared me. I trembled from the fright caused and tried to hide this momentary reaction.

"I... I..."  My voice trailed off. He was the man I had been dreaming about.

"Yes you!" He growled, motionless next to the mare with his arms crossed.

"I need help!" That's what I managed to say.

"I can not help. Now mind your own business." He replied rudely.

"Yes you can, I dreamed of you! Please!"

"What?" He raised his eyebrow in confusion.

"I don't know why, but my dreams brought me to you. I have a demon after me. Please, I'm afraid! And I'm more afraid for my family."

Although suspicious, he invited me in. I chose to trust him and followed him into the house, which reminded me of medieval times. Like the small, old-fashioned furniture, most objects and utensils were made of wood. With the exception of some, made of clay. It felt like I had traveled back in time, as soon as I walked in the door, except for an old stainless steel stove that didn't seem to fit into that setting, and a tap that pointed towards a sink. However, due to degradation there should be no drinking water. Soon, he stopped me from continuing my curiosity around the compartment, showing himself impatient as he occupied my field of vision. It was noticeable that he was in a bad mood. He grunted and asked me to tell him about everything that happened before. The timbre of my voice sometimes wavered when I felt offended.

"I've never heard of that kind of demon before." He looked at me with disdain.

"I told the whole truth!"

"I believe it, but that doesn't mean..."

"What you mean?" I got angry.

"You're crazy..."

"I'm not crazy and my family saw it too."

Suddenly another individual opened the door. He was wearing old-fashioned clothes and had a musical instrument with him. He gaped and then gave a wide smile.

"Take a good look at what we have here. Such a beautiful young maiden! Mhm, Geralt... Now I understand why you wanted to be alone... I see..."

The white-haired man turned sharply to the speaker and swore. I noticed that his voice vibrated a little because of the anger he felt.

"It's okay, Geralt! I'll leave you alone, but allow me to introduce myself!" He leaned towards me. "My name is Jaskier."

"Janet." I smiled back at him. "Well... I'm leaving now."  I moved towards the door.

"Oh, I'm sorry if I interrupted you."  Jaskier apologized.

"All good!"  I wanted to reassure him, as he seemed quite friendly to me, unlike the man I had met before. "I know when I'm not welcome."  I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw that Geralt still had his back to me.  "In fact, I'm an intruder here."

"Oh, no, no..."  Jaskier continued.

"I just came to ask for help."  I stopped at the doorstep.  "I'm just sorry that I didn't..."  I sighed.  "I'm sorry I appeared like that. I didn't want to be a nuisance to anyone."

Jaskier stopped paying attention to me and then Geralt. This one didn't turn to me. I nodded and walked out with my head down. I was devastated. He had become my only hope. I felt my eyes moisten due to the sad disappointment I had just suffered.

"Janet..."  A deep voice called my name and I looked at him.  "I need proof."  Inspired. "You'll have to spend the night here."

"I..."  A fugitive tear ran down my cheek. I wiped it off immediately, but I realized he had picked up on it. He grimaced, he didn't know if it was due to lack of patience or if he felt guilty.  "I need to go home because I need to alert my family or they will be looking for me. However, just in case, in case I am late... for my own safety, I would prefer to return tomorrow. Or will there be a problem with that?"

"Hmm. Okay."  That's all he told me.