1. A NIGHT OUT

ELLIE

My claustrophobia kicked in as I felt engulfed by the sweaty bodies all around me. Music blasted in my ear, temporarily rendering me unable to interpret my friend Max. I was trying to read her lips when I was pushed to a side by a hormonal couple sucking each other's faces.

Maybe coming here was a mistake.

"I want to go home." I shouted in Max's ears.

She dragged me to a corner where the music was a little less loud. I felt relief wash over me as I got a chance to breathe properly.

"Come on El, you might be going back to that stinky town soon. You have to live a little and enjoy the time you have left." Max said to me and then handed me a glass full of liquid. "Have some drink. It will make all this tolerable."

She was right; I had failed to secure a job in New York and I had no other choice than go back home to my parents and work at the farm. I had lived at Max's apartment for free for six months and my self respect didn't give me permission to feed off her anymore. She had rich parents and she didn't mind me staying with her but I just couldn't do it anymore.

"Fine. Give it to me." I said and snatched the glass from her hands. I chugged the whole glass in one sip and the sharp taste made me dizzy. I had tried alcohol before but never the strong kind like this. One glass was enough to make my vision blurry. But I didn't stop at first glass. I took another, then another, then another. Finally after having emptied five glasses, I was completely inebriated.

I looked around for Max and found her dancing with a guy. Max was the attractive one out of us. She had blonde hair cut in a layered bob and had a model-like figure. I on the other hand, was a boring brunette with an average face and a not-so-lean body.

Not being able to drink anymore, I started wandering here and there. I don't remember how but I somehow reached another area of the club, one that looked a little more secluded and private. There was a guard at the entrance, blocking the pathway. I didn't want to go back to the crowded hall so I walked forwards.

"C...Can I go inside?" I slurred in my drunken state.

"No, it's private." He stated sternly.

"I can give you money. How much? I have 20 bucks." I said and the big guy laughed at this.

"Come on, pretty face. Hush now." He said in an annoyed voice.

"Let her in. She is with me." Someone said from behind me and I turned around to face the owner of the voice. It was a handsome, blonde guy who walked behind me and then placed his hand on my waist. The guard finally let us in and once we were inside, the guy winked and said, "Enjoy." After that, he turned around and walked off to meet someone else.

Wow. What just happened?

I narrowed my eyes and looked around. This place didn't look like it was a part of this dirty, sweaty club. There were very few people inside and all of them reeked of money and class. I took a look at my own dress and felt glad that Max forced me to wear her branded black bodycon dress.

By now, the alcohol had started to make chaos inside my body. I felt light headed and nauseous, unable to think clearly. Walking towards the bar, I sat down and ordered a glass of lime water.

"I am not interested, Amanda. Take some hint." I heard someone say. I turned to my left where a man was sitting and a girl was trying to capture his attention. I couldn't see clearly but the guy was really handsome.

"I thought we had fun last time." The girl said to him.

"You had fun. I was the one who had to listen to a screaming hyena all night." The guy said and I let out a laugh at this. Both of them looked towards me. The girl looked really embarrassed at her public humiliation so she left without saying anything.

"You are rude." I said to him.

"And you are nosey." He replied and then gave me a look from head to toe. He had green eyes and a chiseled jaw, his dark brown hair set in a messy ruffle. Maybe it was the alcohol or the club, but for some reason, I was feeling uninhibited. I passed him a flirty smirk and took a sip of the lime water.

"Are you alone or with someone?" He asked, suddenly looking interested,

"Maybe. Maybe not." I replied with a wink.

"Do you know who I am?" He asked, lifting a corner of his lips to form a smirk.

"Yes." I said. "You're a jerk who sleeps with women and then never call them back." Hearing this, his expressions froze for a moment. "I wish I could be like you. A cold jerk."

"You are interesting." He said and placed his hand on my thigh. "I have a room booked upstairs. Do you want to accompany me and fulfill your wish?" My dress was rising from there and his cold touch made me shiver a little.

"And why would I do that?" I asked.

He grabbed my seat and pulled it forwards so I almost ended up with my legs in between his. His green eyes stared deep into mine while his hands reached the small of my waist.

"Because you look like you could use a night with me. Life has been harsh to you lately, princess." He said and I got shocked at his words. How did he figure me out so easily? Was I that transparent?

I could feel the hair on the nape of my neck standing up at the prospect of sleeping with a stranger. But the thought was also tempting.

"You..." I pointed my fingers at him. And then dragged that finger along his cheek. " You are an arrogant, rude man and..."

"And..." He looked amused.

"And..." Bile rose my throat suddenly and I felt dizzy all of sudden.

"And what?" He raised his eyebrow.

I didn't reply. Instead, I just lowered my face and emptied all my stomach contents on his crotch. A surprised groan left his mouth as he tried to distance himself from me. People started talking around us but I couldn't focus on anything anymore. My head felt too heavy.

"Oh shit. El." I heard Max's voice. That was the last thing I heard before succumbing to sleep.

*****

I was awakened by my daily alarm but it wasn't an ordinary morning. My head was hurting like hell, as if a drummer was beating it constantly. I got some vague flashbacks from last night and I cringed at the memory of throwing up on a stranger. Thank God I would never have to face that person again.

"I figured you would need it." Max walked inside and handed me a glass of milk. She was in her morning workout clothes and I was surprised how fresh she looked despite last night's shenanigans. On the other hand, I was in an underwear and a hoodie, my hair a mess and my whole body aching.

After finishing the glass of milk, I casually opened my mobile to check my email and I almost screamed at what I saw. There was an email from a multinational company where I had applied earlier this month for the post of a secretary. They had sent me an email for interview yesterday but I haven't checked it before. But my happiness vanished as soon as I looked at the date and time of the interview.

"Shit." I screamed out loud.

"What happened?" Max asked. She was stretching in front of my mirror.

"I have an interview with Sveston Industries." I told her.

"Wow. When?" She asked.

"In thirty minutes." I almost let out a tear of agony at my badluck.

**********