12. A NIGHT OUT

ELLIE

At around 7 in the evening, I started getting dressed for my little outing with Sean. I wore a cute white crop sweater with black skirt and completed my look with a pair of black boots. I curled my hair to give them some volume and applied some light makeup on my face. Once satisfied with my look, I walked out of my room towards the hallway when I was stopped in my tracks by a voice.

“Where do you think you are going?” The voice asked. My head turned to the source of the voice sitting lazily on the kitchen counter and by the look on his face, I knew I was in for trouble.

“I… uh....” I gulped. “I was going for a walk with Sean.”

“Did you ask me?” He raised his eyebrows.

“Why would I ask you? I am not your slave.” I replied with gritted teeth.

“But you are my secretary.” He hopped off the counter and walked over to me in a slow, menacing manner. He towered over me due to the difference between our heights and then crossed his arms. “You do know I am presenting at the conference tomorrow. Didn’t you think I might need your help preparing?”

“You could have told me earlier.” I said, holding my head high even though he sometimes makes me nervous, especially when he invades my personal space like that.

“I am telling you now.” He said, cocking his head to a side.

I wanted to argue but I knew I was talking to a stone and no words would move him. At last, I accepted defeat and nodded, “Fine. What are we working on?” The sooner I start working, the sooner I'll be free.

The victorious look on his face made my nostrils flare in anger and I regretted ever making a plan with someone. Following him to the table, I tied my hair back in a ponytail and began working.

*****

We worked on his speech for the next three hours during which he kept giving me random tasks just to prolong my stay. It didn’t need a genius to figure out he didn’t need me or my help. It was all just a pathetic excuse to stop me from hanging out with Sean.

Controlling son of a bitch!

Sean texted me quite many times that he was okay with waiting but I didn't want to make him wait for such a long time. Besides who knew if I'll ever get free so there was no point.

I didn’t attempt to fake any warmth towards him and made sure he knew I despised him right now. Whatever task he gave me, I did it silently without engaging in any small talk.

“You can go now. We are done.” He said at last when he knew his little scheme wasn’t working too well.

“Sure.” I said and gathered my laptop and notebook.

“Aren’t you going out?” He asked as he watched me retire to my room.

“No. I have refused him so you win. Congratulations.” I said with a frustrated smile and closed the door on his face.

Once inside the room, I turned on my laptop and played a movie on it. While the movie played, I changed into my comfy night dress and cozied myself under a comforter. That’s not how I wanted to spend my last night in Los Angeles but I had no other choice. Sean must have already left by now and I didn’t want to discover the city alone.

Half an hour had passed by when I received a text from Mr. Byers that made me frown.

Mr. Byers: I am going out. Would you like to join me?”

“No thanks. I am sleeping.” I replied in all caps.

Mr. Byers: I know you aren’t. Come on, the weather is really nice.