6. LUNCH WITH THE BYERS

ELLIE

As I sat on the dining table with the Byers, I felt like I was sitting with sharks ready to devour me any moment. They belonged to a different world than me so I felt really out of place amidst them. They weren’t just rich, they were filthy rich, enough-to-buy-a-whole-town rich. And then there was me, the most luxurious thing I own is probably my laptop for which I saved for a whole year. But I was invited by my boss’ mom for lunch so I couldn’t exactly reject the offer.

“Where are you from, Elizabeth?” Catherine, his Mom asked.

“I am from Texas.” I replied, trying my best not to show my anxiety through my face.

“Oh. What do your parents do?” She asked, passing me the bowl of casserole.

I poured some of the casserole in my bowl as I replied, “They work on a farm.”

“That’s nice.” She nodded, looking quite interested in knowing my heirarchy. “What brought you to New York?”

“I studied at NYU so New York is like my second home.” I said, smiling wide to show my pleasure of working with them.

“Nathan also studied from NYU. Didn’t he tell you?” She asked.

“Did you?” I asked, suddenly sounding excited at the prospect of sharing alma mater with my boss.

“I did. The standard of education seems to have lowered since I was there now that anyone can get admission.” He said, mocking me with an arrogant smirk on his face.

“Of course it’s no Harvard. Right? That reminds me, I got accepted there too. I preferred NYU because of the scholarship they offered.” I smirked back, not wasting the chance to show off.

"Oh, Nathan didn't want to join Ivy League. He already had a lot of pressure of handling business in those days." Catherine said.

"Ahan." I said and watched Mr. Byers, who was already looking at me with narrowed eyes.

“I am bored.” we were busy in the conversation when a voice rose from the other side of the table. Aria was staring at all three of us with a truly bored expression on her face.

“Why are you bored, Aria?” Nathan asked in a completely different tone than he had used with me initially.

“I want to play with Ellie.” She said, showing me her toothy smile.

I was about to melt at her sweet voice when I was interrupted. “Ellie needs to go home now.” Nathan said.

No, I didn’t. Okay maybe I did.

“But she promised she would play with me.” Aria said, making a pouty face.

“Ellie might have other plans.” Catherine interjected.

“But—”

“Aria, don’t be stubborn.” Nathan said a little more authoritatively this time. Ah, the boss is back.

While their discussion proceeded, I had finished my lunch and was now wiping my fingers with the tissue paper. The food was great but then again, it ought to be when you have hired a whole chef to make you food.

“I’ll call a ride.” I said, not wanting to be a burden any longer.

“You will do no such thing dear. Nathan will drop you home.” Catherine said.

“What? Why me?” Nathan asked, looking repulsive at the aspect of dropping me home. “I’ll ask the driver.”

“I’ve sent the driver to pick up my clothes from the boutique.” She replied.