14. HANDSFUL OF MISERY

ELLIE

To be honest, I didn't expect Mr. Byers to give me an off day on Monday even though I wasted my whole weekend on that boring business trip. Maybe he was better than I gave him credit for, or maybe he just wanted me to recharge before he could make me his personal servant again.

I spent the day grocery shopping and then had a run to the mall with Max, where I bought three new work outfits for me. From there, we went to salon to get fresh blow-dry and Mani pedi.

"Hey El, Jason texted. He said let's plan a fancy dinner tonight." Max said while the artist painted her nails with matte fuschia nail polish.

"Sure." I blew on my nails. I had chosen french manicure for myself as I knew Mr. Byers would not like anything flashy. Wait, why do I care what my arrogant boss like? It's not like he had bought me.

"Hey, can you please add some neon yellow in it?" I asked the artist.

"Sure." The woman replied and picked up the brightest yellow color I have ever seen.

"Paolo's?" Max asked. It was one of the most expensive restaurants in town and before I got this job, I always dreaded going to such places with my friends. But now, I was glad I had enough credit in my account that I won't have to embarrass myself by borrowing money from Max.

"Fine by me." I replied.

Just in time, I received a text from Mom asking about my whereabouts. I had almost forgotten about them ever since I got this job, considering I hardly get any free time for myself.

I reassured her that I would video call her once I got back home. I really wished I could go back to my town to spend some days with my parents but knowing my boss, that seemed like a distant possibility.

Well, I can bear anything as long as I get that paycheck at the end of each month. Does that make me sound like a materialist? Who cares if it does! I've been broke for a long time and I needed to lift this burden off my chest.

We went back home to change into our new clothes and then Max drove both of us to the restaurant. Jason and Jace had already arrived and ordered dumplings for appetizers.

"What took you guys so long?" Jace asked.

"Miss. Girl over here changed her outfit three times." Max pointed at me and I shrugged.

"No matter what I wore, I didn't look half as good as you." I said. It was true; Max had donned a maroon leather jacket that she paired with black leather pants. She looked badass in all the leather ensemble and it made me look like a plain Jane.

"Girls and their clothes." Jace rolled his eyes. "I wore the first shirt I found rolled up in my drawer."

"What's why you have no game, dude. Girls like efforts." Jason pointed at his three piece suit and if I may add, he looked really nice. Both brothers were tall and handsome, with chiseled jaws, adequate amount of muscles and black thick curly hair.

"I don't need game. I have a cute smile." Jace grinned, showing us his pearly white teeth.

Max and I quietly amused ourselves with their conversation and I forgot the last time I smiled this much. With Mr. Byers, my life had turned from a sitcom to a serious drama, one that had no romantic aspect in it whatsoever. Imagine the boredom!

"I had missed this." I commented, slurping down the complimentary Margherita the waiter had served.

"Tell us about you. How was the trip?" Jace asked to include me in the conversation.

"Boring. It was mostly the conference hall to our suite; our suite to the conference hall." I said, omitting the night where I almost got kissed as it would make me blush like a tomato.