5. THE HOME OF THE DEVIL

ELLIE

It was Sunday, my first official day off from work in the whole week. I had so many plans for today. From the advance salary I got, I wanted to get a fresh haircut, buy some new clothes for work and then dine out with my friends. But all my plans were left hanging in the middle when I got this text from the boss.

“Send me your location. My driver will be coming to pick you up. We need to work on the meetings with Harpers tomorrow.”

“Fuck me.” I groaned out loud and after some procrastinating, sent him the location. “I guess I’ll join you guys straight for dinner.” I said to Max who was having her morning run on the treadmill.

“He can’t make you work on Sundays.” Max said out loud.

“Actually he can. It’s in the contract.” I said and finsihed my morning cereal. After that, I changed into a pair of black leather pants and a warm baby pink sweater. Styling my hair in a low bun with few tendrils hanging out, I sat down on the couch in the lounge and waited for his driver to come.

After around 20 minutes, a black Rolls Royce stopped in front of our apartment building while I was standing in the window, waiting.

"Umm... Is that for me?" I looked at the car in confusion and that's when my phone was beeped by a text from the driver. "Well, apparently, yes."

“Wow, your boss is loaded.” Max commented as I saw peak from behind me.

“That he is. But he also has a stick up his ass.” I said and picked up my handbag and laptop bag.

The driver opened up the door to the passenger seat for me and I slid in decently. The last time I sat in such a luxurious car was probably prom night where my date had rented out a Lamborghini for us. This car was probably worth more than my entire being. I had to sit like a statue so I don’t end up staining this car and suffer some more of Mr. Byer’s wrath.

The drive was around 20 minutes long and the car finally entered through a huge iron gate and reached an elegant mansion. It was all painted in white that gave a royal look to it. From the outside, it looked big enough that my whole family plus all the extended relatives could live in it and still leave some rooms spare. The lawn around the mansion itself was stretched across many acres.

One of the security guards led me inside. I gaped at the interior with surprised eyes, thoroughly impressed by the amount of money that was put into it. Max was right, Mr. Byers must be stinking rich to afford a house like that.

“You can wait here.” The guard said to me as he left me in the lounge.

I sat down on the Italian sofa and crossed my legs nervously, as I didn’t want to look any more out of place than I currently was. Why didn’t I wear something elegant instead of dressing up like a teenager?

“Hello,” In my thoughts, I didn’t realize that Nathan’s daughter was standing beside me, her one hand curled around her doll while the other extended patiently.

“Hi sweety. How are you?” I said, shaking her small hand.

“I am good. What is your name?” She asked innocently as she sat down beside me. She was so little, like an adorable little fairy.

“My name is Ellie.” I said,

“Ellie. My name is Aria.” She replied.

“And may I ask, what is your doll’s name?” I said, pointing towards the little doll.

“It’s Gracie.” She said.

“Can I hold Gracie?” I asked.

Her eyes whimmered up in excitement. “Yes, please.” She smiled, showing me her missing teeth. "Gracie is sad today."