The invite

Hell would freeze over before a Pendragon wouldn't smile upon seeing Merlin Emrys.

That is what Morgana Pendragon thought as her phone rang the sound of 'Centuries' by Falloutboy, therefore signaling Merlin's incoming call. His name blinked up in bold letters, a small bird accentuating it. He was one of the few people Morgana didn't leave waiting when he called.

"Morgana, I need your help!"

She immediately regretted picking up. "Hello to you too, Merlin."

"I fucked up!" His voice was almost distorted with how much he was panicking and shouting against the sensitive mic. "I really fucked up! Royally! Massively! I might as well dig my own grave!"

Morgana put some distance between her ears and the phone. "Merlin, calm down, what's going on? I'm sure whatever it is, you can handle it. You've been through worse."

"It's Valiant."

With that, Morgana's interest was immediately piqued. She leaned back into her chair. "Now that I gotta hear."

"Okay, so, please don't laugh, but he invited me to another class meeting. It's our ten year anniversary, you know?"

Morgana's eyes drifted to her calendar. Not that she would have Merlin's anniversaries written on them. "That's this year?"

"Yes!" It rang desperate from the phone. "And he's married now! To Penelope Noire! The model! Can you believe that? Anyway, he was like, 'I'm going to invite all my classmates to our holiday residence in Canada - CANADA! That posh fucker! - He's paying for all the flights and stuff! I got the letter and tickets in the mail this morning!"

Morgana listened intently. "Okay... But that's not too bad? Merlin, you're friends with like... the richest people in the country. Your oldest friend is a model too, and WE'RE friends and I'm an actress. And to top that of, daughter of THE richest man in the country. Surely you don't feel inferior to Valiant like last time, do you?"

"That's the THING! Morgana, he's SO annoying, so utterly - urgh! I hate that guy!"

"Of course you do, he's your childhood bully."

"That's not the point! So, we were supposed to call back whether we could make it, right? So, when I did, I kinda told him that I was back on my feet and got my degree and made it to being surgeon as I always dreamed-"

"Which you did." Morgana nodded her head proudly as she rotated around on her chair. Moving kept her focused.

"He didn't believe me!" There was a slight pause in which Morgana could hear his frustrated breathing. "And I already KNOW that if I show up alone, he'll just dismiss everything I say and paint me as a liar in front of all my classmates like he always does!"

Morgana frowned. "So, what is your solution?"

At that, Merlin's voice lowers a little and he sounds embarrassed. "That's where I messed up. I kind of... told him I was dating someone really rich and famous and that if I showed up with that person, he'd regret ever thinking me a liar."

Morgana's eyes widened and she knew where this was headed. "Merlin, you didn't!"

"I'm SO sorry! He just sounded so smug on the phone and I was annoyed! I need a fake girlfriend for that weekend." He hesitated. "Please tell me you can help me. It's on the weekend of the 5th to 7th May."

Morgana stared at nothing in particular. "Hold on, that's in two weeks..." Morgana flipped her calendar to the next month, already knowing this was too sudden. She just wanted to see the evidence. "I'm really sorry, Merlin. I would, but Gwen and I are going to Jamaica for three weeks, starting the first of May."