Step drunk

After they returned to the estate, everyone was exhausted. The couples and singles returned to their rooms to take a shower and get changed. On the plans for the afternoon was to play poker together.

That's how Arthur came out of the shower, a towel around his waist and one around his neck. He felt glorious today. Something he couldn't quite name gave him energy and he hadn't felt this alive in quite a while. Maybe ever. He opened the door to their bedroom and found Merlin in the process of grabbing his things for his turn to use the shower.

Arthur stopped short at the door, half smirking.

Because he expected Merlin to glance him over. Arthur was under no illusion that he was attractive. More than enough people had boosted his confidence and he couldn't deny that he liked the attention. And Arthur thought it would be funny to tease Merlin about his wandering gaze. Arthur may be arrogant, but he wasn't blind and he also wasn't wrong. Almost everyone in their friend circle was into men, except Morgana, Arthur himself and Leon, therefore Arthur had been at the receiving end of subtle glances more than once. Which was, obviously, fuel to his self confidence. In Gwaine's case, the glances had never even been subtle.

When Merlin turned around, however, he was averting Arthur's gaze. Arthur, on the other hand, felt rooted to the spot. All previous thoughts were practically wiped from his mind in an instant.

Merlin had taken his shirt off.

Everyone in their friend circle was into men except Arthur? Suddenly, Arthur felt hot. It was the rarest, yet fiercest tug he had ever felt in his stomach area, as his eyes scanned every inch of Merlin's visible torso. He had known that Merlin worked out and even noticed it when the man wore a simple shirt. Right now, however, he could basically count his abs if he wanted to. Not that they were very visible, but Merlin had grown firm and strong. A heated blush creeped onto Arthur's face and he had to blink his stupor away.

'What the heck?'

"I hope you left some hot water for me." Merlin said as he moved past Arthur. Arthur was too slow to respond and suddenly the bathroom door clicked shut behind the surgeon.

Arthur covered his mouth. Will's words from the ride echoed in his head but Arthur shook it off. Arthur hadn't felt anything like this before, yet he felt like it had always kind of been there. Maybe he was reading too much into this.... Was that sexual attraction just now?! The very present urge in his mind to touch spoke volumes.

Arthur shook his head. It was probably a fluke. Will's words were messing with his head. And if it weren't... Merlin was a good man. There were worse people to be attracted to. And finding someone attractive didn't mean you were in love. Arthur calmed his racing heart, surprised that it had sped up in the first place.

A different feeling settled in as he closed his eyes, warm and soft and proud. Arthur exhaled a deep breath. If he truly had a crush on Merlin, he'd feel uncomfortable around him, right? He'd be nervous and overwhelmed for sure. Instead, he usually felt like everything was easier, simpler with him. If this were love, Arthur thought, if he truly were in love with Merlin, then love wasn't as scary as he knew it to be.

Arthur shook it off and got dressed.

. . .

On the other side of the bathroom door, Merlin turned the water on cold. He tried not to think and not to close his eyes. The sight of Arthur after a shower had burned itself in his mind. And it had been much worse than what he had imagined while the door had been closed to begin with! He had done his damn hardest to avert his gaze, yet he had been able to see him from his peripheral. Merlin felt the sudden urge to hit his head against the bathroom tiles.