Defence Against the Dark Arts

Erela's POV 

It was my first class of the year. I was sat next to a blonde timid Gryffindor girl, I noticed her while I was unpacking my stuff in the girls bedroom. 

"You're Erela Black right?" She asked. 

"Yeah that's me." I replied with a smile. 

"I'm Esme Wood, the younger sister of Oliver Wood." 

"Wait the Quidditch keeper, who now plays for the Puddlemore United reserves team?"

"Yeah, he is a pretty good Quidditch player." 

"My brother is obsessed with him, he has a poster of him in his room." I replied. 

Before she got to say anything back, Professor Umbridge entered the room. As she explained how we won't be practicing magic I could not help but sigh. 

"Do you have something to say Miss Black?" 

"Is this really appropriate with everything that is going on?" I asked. 

"Nothing is going on Miss Black."

"Well I mean if you want to gaslight yourself that, then be my guest." 

"How dare you speak to me like that." 

I remained silent, just giving her a glare. 

"It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge is sufficient to get you through your examination, which is after all what school is all about." She announced to the class. 

"And how is theory meant to prepare us for what is out there?" Harry asked. 

"There is nothing out there dear. Who do you imagine would want to attack children, like yourself?" 

"Uh, I don't know Lord Voldemort." 

There was another moment of silence. The students were either talking to the person sitting next to them, or I saw a few shaking their heads. I locked eyes with my brother and he had a worried expression on his face. As I looked back to the front of the classroom, Professor Umbridge scanned the room with a puzzled face. 

"Now let me make this quite plain. You have been told, that a certain dark wizard is at large once again, but this is a lie." 

"It's not a lie, I saw him, I fought him!" Harry raised his voice. 

"Detention Mr Potter!" 

"So according to you Cedric Diggory dropped dead on his own accord!" Raising his voice once more. 

"Cedric Diggory death was a tragic accident." 

"It was murder! Voldemort killed him, you must know that!" 

"That's enough!" Umbridge shouted, stunning the whole classroom and silencing Harry. 

"I will see you later Mr Potter in my office. She added, letting out a little giggle. 

Harry was sat behind me. I turned behind me, our eyes making contact. 

"Are you ok?" I whispered. 

He nodded. 

The lesson started and I could not wait to get out of there. As I had a free period, I went to the library to take out some books for my next class which was divination. 

As my mind was glued into the chapter I was reading I did not notice Esme sit next to me. 

"Are you taking divination too?" She asked. 

I was startled as I looked up. 

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you." 

I gave her a little smile of reassurance.