The Hunting Trip (1)

Okay, so a week and three days have passed since Remi made that declaration to himself to clean up the misunderstanding between him and Demian. And he still hasn't done it! It wasn't because he hadn't tried. Demian did everything he could to avoid him all the while sending daggers at Dane when he thought the two of them weren't looking.

At least Dane was right about one thing. This recent spectacle proved that Demian was interested in him. But why the hell was he still hanging around Ophelia?!

Remi knew he was the jealous type. There weren't many things out there that attracted his attention enough to make him want to feel jealousy but there were some. And one of them was Demian Maxwell! If the man wasn't willing to deviate from the predetermined path fate had set for him then Remi was more than willing to do it for Demian. He just needed to find the perfect opportunity to catch him alone.

He and Dane were currently sitting in the library, in Remi's usual hiding spot. They had a five page paper on magical beasts due tomorrow and they were finishing up on it. Or at least Dane was.

"I need to find a way," Remi grumbled out loud, slamming his magically refilling ink quill down on his lap.

Dane spared him a glance from his spot across from him on the cushioned window seat before returning his eyes back onto his work. "I can kidnap him," Dane suggested, accurately guessing Remi's thoughts.

Remi's ears perked up before his expression drooped into solemn disappointment. "Nah. Let's save that one as a last resort."

"Sneak into his dorm?"

That, that he might be able to do. "I am good at sneaking."

"You're good at sneaking out, not in," Dane corrected him.

Remi found himself laughing at his remark. "That is true." He wiped the tears out of the corners of his eyes, surprised he didn't draw the attention of the librarian. "You know that you probably shouldn't be helping me."

Dane's dark eyes snapped to his. "I would rather help you and know of your plans than having you go at it alone, leaving me in the dark, unable to protect you."

"Hmm, smart," Remi hummed. If only all the knights were like Dane. "But seriously, what am I supposed to do with Demian?"

"It is definitely a change for you," Dane snorted. "You're used to people vying for your attention, throwing themselves at your feet. Not chasing them."

Remi wanted to argue but bit his tongue. In his old life, he was a beta and pretty much average in job and personality. He was used to being ignored. He was only good for his brain, not much else. But in this life, he was a rare male omega and a prince. He had gone from being the least desirable to the most practically overnight. Dane wasn't wrong when he said people would throw themselves at him. He had more suitors than he could imagine back in the Ashen Kingdom, it was just too bad that none of them caught his interest.

Just then, a book wobbled on the shelf nearest them followed by several thuds of something hitting the ground. Dane instantly stood up in alert, laying the paper and books down in a flash. He stalked down the aisle with a straight back.

Remi got up and followed him at a distance. Hopefully it wasn't Demian on the other side but if it was then Remi wasn't stupid enough to pass up the opportunity.

Dane had come to a sudden stop once he reached the end of the aisle, his straight shoulders never releasing their tension.

Remi came up behind him and peeled over his shoulder, having to stand on his toes to do so. Down at the end of the aisle directly behind theirs stood a tall and slender man who was bent in an awkward position as he haphazardly placed books onto the shelf. His long red hair hung in a loose side tail.

"Headmaster?" Remi asked in confusion.

The headmaster jumped as if startled and looked over at them, his sheepish expression quickly morphed into one of a friendly nature. "Oh? I hope I didn't startle you?"

Remi leaned back, settling his feet flat on the ground. He was feeling relieved that it wasn't Demian but also disappointed that it wasn't him. "It's fine."

The Headmaster stood up before sliding the last book into place. The long lashes of his hawk eyes fluttered shut momentarily, hiding those golden orbs that resembled storm clouds. "I really am sorry that I disturbed your studies."

Remi had just opened his mouth to reassure the man once again when Dane spoke up, cutting him off. "Were you listening to our conversation?"

A small smirk that gave off vibes of a cat stalking its prey appeared on the Headmaster's lips. "Oops! You caught me. I'm afraid I may have overheard some of it. "His sharp eyes narrowed onto Remi, there was a hidden light of amusement hidden within their depths. "I'm afraid I can't have students committing kidnapping or breaking and entering."

Remi's ears heated up but he was able to suppress the embarrassed flush that wanted to creep onto his face. "Don't worry Headmaster. We were merely joking."

The Headmaster's smirk widened into a genuine smile. "Good. I hope I don't need to remind students that they'll be banned from the hunt if they are caught breaking the rules." The Headmaster then made his way towards them, he stopped in front of Dane, who was still tense with alertness. "I would advise one to have patience in these matters. Who knows what a day may bring." The man then left, his red hair bumping gently against his shoulder as his white robes swayed. 

Remi wondered briefly why the man always wore robes when they were uncommon in this world.

Dane only relaxed his stance once the man was out of sight. "I don't trust him."

Remi thought back to his knowledge of the game. In truth, there wasn't much that had been revealed about the Headmaster except that he seemed to be an antagonist of the heroine. Remi shook off his thoughts with a shrug. "Leave him be for now."

*  *  *  *

Remi woke up the next day to banging on his door. Sitting up with a frown, he got out of bed with a look at the time. There was still an hour before he needed to get up for classes.

He opened the door with a scowl maring his delicate cat-like features. Dane stood on the other side with a worried expression. 

"I found out what the Headmaster was hinting at yesterday," was all he said before barging into Remi's room, a sheet of paper clutched in his hands.

Remi shut the door and followed after him. He plopped down onto the bed, his earlier anger melting off into confusion. "What did he do?" The only thing that Remi could remember about the Headmaster that labeled him as an antagonist character was that he tried to separate the heroine from the love interests during every major event that took place in the school arc.

Dane handed him the piece of paper that had miraculously survived without gaining any crinkles. Remi glanced down and felt his heart give a jolt, excitement coursing through his veins.

"I found it posted on the board on the first floor lounge," Dane told him.

The piece of paper contained the list of groups for the upcoming hunting trip. Dane's name was in the first group with Shana, Ophelia, and a person whose name Remi didn't recognize. But that wasn't what had his heart beating so loudly that he could hear in his ears. It was Remi's own name in the last group. It included Ronni, Brendon, and. . ."Demian," Remi breathed out the last name. 

So that was what the Headmaster meant. The man would go so far as to help Remi just to keep one of the love interests away from Ophelia.

An unconscious smile creeped onto his lips. He was worried about being in a group with two alphas but he finally had his chance to corner Demian.

*  *  *  *