S1 EP 7: Far from glory days

It's a peaceful morning on for CF1 paddock, it's sprint day morning on week 12. Team members and drivers all arriving and preparing for the important day ahead.

'Morning.' Zhou tells the journalists and photo graphers, his performance coach by his side as he entered the paddock. He greeted his teammates before meeting with the media manager together with Valterri and his performance coach.

'Alright so today is sprint day, you guys know what the task is for the sprint. Score more points then Ferrari and Alpha Tauri. create a gap so we are secure in P2 in the championship.' The media manager said.

'I think we wouldn't have believed it if someone told us this is where we'd be at this stage in the constructors championship. It's truly incredible what we have achieved.' Valterri Bottas told the interviewer.

'Alfa Romeo are truly in the clouds, but the leaders at Alfa Romeo are very aware of the facts. After all, Valterri has only score 29 procent of the team's points so far this season. There are many things you could point to and say, that's probably why. I think that's the exact problem that Valterri has. He has so many things he needs to improve on, that he kinda lost track on what to improve.' Chris Medland said.

'Times are tough for Valterri.' Will Buxton said.

'Valterri isn't the only driver on the grid who is still looking for a contract for next season, a majority of drivers are still looking for they contracts for next year. Teams have to hurry up and make decisions now or they might lose a chance at their best possible options.' Jennie Gow said.

'We are keeping our options open, Valterri is a great driver and his experience with Mercedes really has helped our team move forward to where it is today. These reserve drivers are no joke though, we need to evaluate the best options for 2024 now that our team challenges at the top, even getting closer to Red-Bull as we speak.' Alessandro, Alfa Romeo team principal explained.

'I'm gonna do everything I can get to get that seat. This isn't my first time having to fight for it, I'm not someone who easily gives up.' Valterri told the interviewer.

'The sprint get's underway here at week twelve. Valterri Bottas has qualified a very decent P7, his teammate Zhous Guanyu, who has a possible chance to join the championship fight if he does well this weekend, starts below in P11.' The DTS commentator announced.

'One - zero.' Valterri said with a smile.

'It's Valterri's turn now, how can he set himself up for the sprint? Valterri lines up, IT'S GONE WRONG, Valterri crashes out of the launcher and ends up on his roof for the fifth time this season!' Crofty exclaimed.' That is his weekend over.'

'**** not again!' The strategist called out in frustration.

'Hold your emotions.' Alessandro told his staff member.

'I can keep doing that but if he keeps screwing up the team strategy and losing us valuable points we can sing our farewell song.' The strategist responded, clearly annoyed.

'You focus up, I'll deal with this.' Alessandro said confidently before walking off.

'Zhou Guanyu is a sprint winner again, this is really starting to become a regulair thing for him.

'YES, awesome sprint again guys!' Zhou Guanyu told his team.

'Awesome job mate, now just to repeat that for the race.' His race engineer joked.

'I'll try my best.' Zhou Guanyu responded.

Alessandro walks up to Andreas Seidl with an angered look on my face. 'Yes we have to call up ANOTHER reserve driver.' He said. 'He's messing up the flow of the entire team. If he wants to be a screw up he can be that but just not at my team.'

'Things have really heated up at Alfa Romeo, the pressure has never been higher for this team. They do not want to mess up this opportunity to get closer to Red-Bull and leave behind Alpha Tauri and most importantly, Ferrari. Beating that historic team would mean the world to the Swiss team.' Will Buxton said.

'It's race time in week 12!' Crofty said excitedly.

'The FIS have assigned us a good old pal of us. Antonio Giovinazzi will replace Valterri during the race. I'm very excited to see if winning the 24 hours of Le-Mans has had a positive effect on his results.' Alessandro said.

Antonio gets in his car, the head mechanic shaking his hand one more time before the formation lap starts and the drivers are all on their own from there, except in pit stops of course.

'Antonio Giovinazzi takes Valterri's place, let's see what he can achieve today!' Crofty said.

'Okay Antonio, you start p7, teammate Zhou Guanyu will start eleventh but he is expected to do very well. Have fun, do your best and try not to be in his way if possible.' Valterri's race engineer told the reserve driver. 'Good to see you again by the way.'

Antonio laughed. 'You too mate.'

'When you're in the car, no matter the circumstances. No matter if you have been there for ages or this is your first experience with the new generation cars, all you focus on is the race ahead and doing the best you can.' Antonio Giovinazzi told the interviewer.

'It's lights out and away we go!' Crofty said excitedly. 'Zhou is gaining in the middle of the field, Antonio has also gained two places though!'

Zhou Guanyu races through the field quickly, passing Antonio in the process. Antonio didn't really care to much though, his race was a different one than Zhou's. Zhou was fighting for a championship, Antonio was rebuilding his reputation.

'It's been a long time coming, but after some great moves in the final laps ZHOU GUANYU IS A FORMULA ONE RACE WINNER.' Crofty exclaimed excitedly. 'Antonio comes home in sixth place which earns the team a good amount of points, and himself a bigger chance at a contract for next season.'

'Awesome drive today mate, really nice to have you back for a day. Wish you the best, hope we haven't seen the last of you.' The race engineer said.

'Thanks mate, thanks to the team for allowing me to drive today. It's been a blast and I hope, I hope we get to do this again someday.' Antonio responded.

After the race Zhou came to Antonio and the two talked to each other with smiles on their faces. This race was truly an amazing one, but the chaos behind it really wasn't.

'If Valterri keeps messing things up we could loose P2 in the championship. We really have to discuss what the best option is for next season.'

'Valterri needs to prove himself asap of he's gonna loose that seat.' Chris Medland said.

'AND AGAIN VALTERRI BOTTAS HAS CRASHED, he now has eight DNF's in eighteen races!' Crofty exclaimed loudly.

'Ferrari are catching up to us, we have to do something now.' Alessandro said.

'I think it's no longer a matter of if, but a matter of when.' Will Buxton said.

UP NEXT IN DRIVE TO SURVIVE:
'Could this mean a possible eleventh team on the grid next season?' Will Buxton asked curiously.

'The fight between Haas and McLaren is really starting to heat up.' Jennie Gow said.

'This is gonna go down till the very end.' Will Buxton said.

'Do not **** smash my door again!' Guenther Steiner said before the door was slammed by Kevin yet again. 'Yes Gene, he's done it again for **** sake.'

'These drivers are starting to get very desperate just to get their teams to put offers on the table.' Will Buxton said.

'Maybe a move is just what I need.' A driver said.