S1 EP 10: Never give up

The screen is black, dramatic music playing in the background. Cut to Wednesday the 22th of November 2023. All teams and drivers together in one building having a party, the final weekend is approaching.

'I really like this new tradition we are doing.' Lando Norris said.

'There's a long weekend ahead for everyone, some driver will be saying good bye to their teams, or Formula one in general.' Pierre Gasly said.

'It's a good way to distract yourself for a second, let your heart calm down for a bit.' Alex Albon said.

'Everyone goes to this little meet up. Drivers, team bosses, even the reserve drivers get to join in.' Will Buxton said. 'In any other situation where this would happen there would be so many conversations of drivers trying to get a contract somewhere.'

'The drivers who came up with the idea for this new tradition decided all driver talk was banned from this party to make sure this party was really a distraction, and not a massive job interview.' Jennie Gow said, 'it's quite fun to watch.'

'Of course, there is a massive realization from all drivers that this weekend is their final opportunity. The weekend where it has to happen. Wether that's trying to win the drivers championship or show your team that you are worth keeping.' Chris Medland said.

'There is a lot at stake for many teams and driver this weekend. McLaren has to bring a good performance to keep Haas behind, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari are closer then they've ever been and most importantly, the drivers championship is still open.' Will Buxton said.

'There are three drivers mathematically in the hunt for this championship. Charles is in P3 and needs a perfect weekend and a horrible weekend for both other drivers to have a chance at the championship. Zhou Guanyu is in second and only seven points behind the leader of the championship.' Jennie Gow said.

'It's safe to say no one suspected that the driver that comes next is the current championship leader.' Will Buxton said. 'He doesn't have an amazing car, he's not had the most comfortable of environments a driver can have, he's had a lot of pressure.'

An empty chair sits in the middle of the empty black room, a driver seems to be preparing to sit down. The driver sits down, revealing it to be Mexican F1 driver Sergio Perez.

'Well hello.' The interviewer said.

'Good to be here again.' Sergio said with a smile.

'Did you predict to be leading the world championship by seven points right now?' The interviewer asked.

'Well it's been a crazy unpredictable season, I think every good driver has had their ups and downs, I think we've just managed that best so far.' Sergio said. 'I certainly didn't expect it, but I'm not complaining.' He said with a smile.

'Sergio has really been quietly getting in the results. Apart from his sprint victory he has not won anything else, no one saw him coming until he started leading.' Will Buxton said. 'He may not have won much but Sergio has six sprint podiums and eight race podiums to his name, he is the living example of consistency.'

'Winning in Formula one is extremely important not just for the amount of points but the confidence a driver gets. If those drivers become overconfident though, they are susceptible to mistakes, they become inconsistent. You can be Charles Leclerc and win five races, but if you only have two podiums, you lose out the the consistent drivers, which is what's seemingly happened here.' Jennie Gow explained.

'I think it's unfair to say we did something wrong, we've fought harder then we ever have, I'm not giving up until the flag falls.' Charles Leclerc said. 'We still have P2 to grab.'