Sylki's First Valentine's Day

Sylvie wakes up from her mid-day nap to a trail of rose petals leading from the couch all the way out the door and presumably to the kitchen.

To say that she's confused would be an understatement.

She sits up slowly, cautiously, and looks around. There's nobody in the living room with her anymore, but somebody must have put these flower petals here, and she has a feeling she knows exactly who it was.

"Loki?" she calls out.

"Yes, darling?" Loki answers from the other room, all polite and lighthearted and lovey-dovey.

Suspicious.

Sylvie narrows her eyes. He usually calls her 'darling' when he knows he's done something bad. And the flower petals strewn across the floor? He's definitely done something he's trying to make up for.

She follows the trail of flower petals out into the kitchen, and it's only as she's nearing the doorway that she realizes it smells really good. Did he cook something? Did he bake something? He knows she likes sweets. Oh, this man is in trouble. She can feel it in her bones.

She steps into the kitchen, and there Loki stands, almost as though he's been waiting for her. He's wearing a suit, his hair slicked back in the way he knows that she likes. Worse still, he's holding a bouquet of roses. Roses! He has even more roses!

"Loki, what did you do?" Sylvie asks, exasperated.

Loki scoffs, the flirtatious smile he'd worn morphing to one of amusement. "I beg your pardon?"

"Well, you must've done something," she says, gesturing to him vaguely. She shouldn't have to get any more specific. There is nothing about this – or him – that's normal right now.

Loki chuckles. "I haven't done anything," he assures her. "It's Valentine's Day, my dear. The humans make the fourteenth of every February a day to celebrate their beloved." He holds the bouquet out to her. "That's what this is for. There's no nefarious purpose, I promise you."

Sylvie eyes him skeptically. "Okay..." She takes the bouquet of roses, holding them to her chest – and they actually smell really nice. Clearly, she needs to sniff flowers more often. "Was I supposed to get you something? Because I didn't..." She's never even heard of this holiday before. Is he making this up? She'll have to ask Thor or Mobius the next time she sees them, because the more she thinks about it, the more ridiculous this "Valentine's Day" sounds.

"Of course not," Loki says. "If I'd expected something, I would have mentioned Valentine's Day before mid-afternoon the day of."

Sylvie frowns. "Well, I still feel bad." And it's not even her fault. She's fully aware of that – and it sounds like he is, too. She hasn't heard of Valentine's Day before, and he must know that. But still, if he really did go through all this trouble just for a stupid holiday, she would have liked to do something for him.

"Don't feel bad," Loki says gently. He wraps his arms around her and presses a kiss to the top of her head. "I wanted this to be a surprise. If you'd known to expect it, it wouldn't be as fun."

Sylvie huffs a quiet laugh. "Well, it definitely was a surprise."

"Wasn't it?" Loki agrees. "I've been waiting on your midday nap all morning."

"Am I really that predictable?"

"Only to me." Loki presses another kiss to the top of her head before he lets her go and takes a step back. Before Sylvie can even begin to mourn the loss of contact, Loki pulls out a small box from his pocket. "For you, my dear." He opens the top and holds it out to her.

Sylvie smiles and takes the box from him, holding it up to get a better look at it. It's a necklace, gold in color, with her name written in beautiful cursive as the pendant. She looks up at her boyfriend, a soft smile on her face, and she's met with one of his own.

"This is beautiful," she says.

"It's custom-made," Loki tells her. "Pure gold, through and through."

Sylvie brushes her pointer finger over it. It's so... soft. Sweet. Perfect.

"And it's in my handwriting," he adds. "A little piece of me for you."

Sylvie stands on her toes and presses a quick kiss to his lips. "I love it," she tells him. "Will you help me put it on?" Not that she couldn't do it herself, but then she'd have to put the roses down – and besides, it's more romantic this way.

Loki carefully removes the necklace, then tucks the box back in his pocket. He gently turns her to face away from him, brushing her hair out of the way, and rests the pendant on her collarbone, clasping the necklace in the back.

Sylvie turns back around to face him. "How do I look?" She strikes a little pose.

"As beautiful as ever," he replies. He cards his fingers through her hair, neatening it up and putting a smile on her face in the process. "Now, I have reservations at the dining hall for two in just over an hour. Would that possibly interest you?"

Sylvie grins. "You know it would."

Loki cracks a smile. "I do," he agrees. "I just wanted to hear you say it."

Sylvie huffs a laugh. "I should probably put something else on, if we're going to the dining hall."

"Probably," Loki agrees. Sweatpants don't tend to blend in there.

Sylvie leans in against him, resting her head against his shoulder. "I love you," she says. "Have I mentioned that?"

Loki wraps an arm around her waist, holding her close. "Once or twice, perhaps." He kisses the top of her head. "I love you, too, darling. Happy Valentine's Day."

"Happy Valentine's Day."