Chapter 1

J E N N I E

“I’m telling you, Jennie. Eventually, people are going to get tired of casting you in the side-kick role.” Jisoo Kim, her agent, ran a hand through her long jet-black hair then took a sip from the can of lime soda in her other one. Jennie sat back in her chair, arms crossed over her chest, glaring. She’s not budging on this topic and Jisoo knew it, so why was her manager bringing it up, yet again?

“We’ve been friends since we were kids and you know I respect your position”—the raven haired woman smiles wryly—”It’s not like I’m really qualified to lecture you since I have no love life to speak of.”

Jennie snort, earning herself a scowl from the other woman. She’s never even seen Chu (she nicknamed the other woman, after the latter kept calling her Jendeukie) go on a date in all the years she’d known her. The actress was almost positive her agent never had a lover. She can’t judge Jisoo on that though since she’s been single all her life, herself. However, at least Jennie made an attempt to find “the one.” Granted, none of her dates had gone past a conversation. The night always ended before they even got to dessert. Although, she can’t even remember the last one she went on. She’s been burned by all the money-grubbing fakes out there.

“But,” Jisoo continued, “it’s my job to protect your career so I’m just being brutally honest.”

Jisoo reached into her Kate Spade lady briefcase and pulled out sheaf of papers, sliding them across the table to the actress. It’s the two scripts she’s been after Jennie to consider. The actress knew both contain some small love scenes, so she’d adamantly refused to even look them over.

The truth was, Jennie’s a hopeless romantic, something her own brother constantly gave her shit about. Until he met his wife. Now her brother has what Jennie had been looking for her whole life. And she’s not willing to do sex scenes that could jeopardize her future relationship. She doesn’t want her future lover to be faced with knowing the world has seen parts of Jennie that belongs to her. Jennie does not like her future girlfriend seeing her give affection to another woman that should only be hers.

Yes hers. She’s a lesbian, out and proud. Jennie has known it since she was twelve, imagining kissing Rachel McAdams instead of crushing on Ryan Gosling on The Notebook. She was blessed enough, that her family fully accepted that fact from the start.

She’d been lucky in her career. At seven-years-old, her funny personality and charisma had landed her a role as the comedic side-kick in a television show.

Since then, she’d encouraged being type-cast in similar roles. The funny friend, or a lead in a comedy with no romance, etc. Besides, she earned enough Best Supporting Actress awards to prove that she’s damn good at it. She has even snagged the lead role in a few period movies which, true to the era, have no physical intimacy. One of them actually landed her a Best Actress in a Leading Role Award one year.

It’s not that Jennie doesn’t have the looks to be the next Hallyuwood sweetheart, with the beautiful face, cat-like eyes, and pretty little thing image she got going on. And that’s not vanity, it’s just the truth. She has the magz and rags to back it up. But she’s happy in the path she’d chosen. She gets to do what she loves without compromising her morals. She never regretted her choice, even when she has walked away from roles that would have landed her among some of the richest actors in the world.

Lately, Jisoo has been pressuring her more than normal to consider even just the smallest romantic roles. It irks her, that some romance her manager insist she check were with men. Ugh!

“Are you trying to tell me that these are my only two offers, right now?” she asked with narrowed eyes.

Jisoo sighed. “No, but the others aren’t nearly as likely to be as successful and are a lot less money.”