4: Med Bay Talk

"You created a tornado?" Skylor raised an eyebrow. "How? And why was Neuro trying to read your mind in the first place?"

They were sitting on Lyra's bed, not wanting to discuss matters like this in Skylor's room because of how close it was to the tunnels. The two were facing each other, doing criss-cross applesauce, as most young women do while spilling tea--or while explaining how they accidentally almost fatally injured someone, in Lyra's case.

"I don't know! Maybe it's just something he tries to do with everyone, to see if he can trust them?" Lyra suggested. 

She didn't want to tell Skylor about the conversation they had just yet. Lyra loved Skylor, but she was definitely still on her father's side. It was weird for Lyra to think of herself on any side but her father's, but that's what it seemed to be. She wasn't sure how much Skylor would tell Chen, and she didn't want to find out. 

"I'll have to use his power later and see how it works," Skylor decided. "Anyways, what was that whole thing with you telling Father you don't know what Jay and Cole's fight was about?"

"I just..." Lyra hesitated. "I really don't think the ninja are as bad as Father makes them out to be. I mean, yeah, some of them act like they're still five years old sometimes, but they just don't seem inherently evil. And, before you say they could be just really good at pretending not to be evil, why would they bother? Father says it's pretty obvious that they're evil, yet they haven't acted like it at all. Even when eavesdropping on their conversations, I don't hear anything that doesn't seem relatively normal. Lloyd's father even lets him insult him sometimes!"

That had been something that caught Lyra's attention. The way Lloyd and Garmadon interacted, they sometimes seemed more like brothers than father and son. It was similar to the way Lyra acted around Skylor.

"Really?" Skylor frowned. "That's extremely disrespectful, though."

"Garmadon usually laughs or insults Lloyd back. But in a joking way, you know?"

"How is it the evil "Sensei" Garmadon treats his son better than Father treats us?" Skylor wondered.

"That's why I'm not so sure they're actually evil!"

"Why would Father say they're evil, then?"

"I really don't know," Lyra sighed. "And I hate not knowing, not being able to trust our own father."

Not being able to trust my own sister, Lyra wanted to say. Not being able to trust my instincts, because they're all over the place.

 "What I do know, however, is that Jay and Cole are about to fight each other, and it's all our fault," she continued.

"The only way we can help is by just being there for the ninja." Skylor paused, seemingly realizing what she'd just said. "Ugh, what have I turned into?"

"It's Kai, I bet," Lyra teased.

"Mhm, sure. What about Lloyd, then? Mini-Garmadon and his 'pretty eyes,' right? You admitted it yourself!"

Lyra felt her cheeks flush as she thought about the boy's sparkling eyes. She didn't know why she liked them so much, but, whenever she saw them, her heart beat faster and she never wanted to look away.

"Let's go to the arena. It's gonna start soon." Lyra stood up and all but ran out of the room, not wanting her sister to see how red her face was.

~*~

Fanfare played just as Skylor and Lyra sat beside the ninja, signifying the start of the match.

They were on stone bleachers that were about as comfortable as the floor. Jay and Cole were standing in a typical Coliseum-style arena, glaring at each other. Jay's hair had streaks of blue running down it in electrical currents, while Cole's feet were covered in swirling dirt.