8: Gaining Power

TW: Child abuse. As usual, there'll be another TW right before it happens plus a TW Recap at the end. The mentions of child abuse + the actual child abuse will keep on going right until the end of the chapter.

"He knows we're going to attack," Lloyd murmured. "But I can't just hide here and do nothing."

They were hiding on top of the courtyard wall, watching the servants below go about their day. They were all very good at acting like everything was normal, though Lyra could see Jalin's lip shaking. She wanted to hug her friend so badly.

The previous night, Lyra had fallen asleep almost immediately after they set up camp. When she awoke, they traveled in silence to the palace.

Lyra nodded. "I need to talk to Skylor. I can make her see reason."

"No, you're staying here," Lloyd told her.

That's news to me. Fake news.

Lyra crossed her arms and raised her chin. "I'm not helpless, you know. You've seen me fight. Plus, I know the palace better than anyone else. I know my way around all the tunnels. You can't get in unseen without me."

"No matter what, we have to wait until nightfall," Nya reminded them. "There's too many people around right now."

"And then what?" Lloyd asked. "Any minute we're out here, he grows more powerful--"

"Son," Garmadon interrupted, putting a hand on Lloyd's shoulder, "Chen grows strong by taking from others. But real power does the opposite. It empowers those around you. Like the way you've empowered me."

"And me," Lyra added, her cheeks a faint pink.

She wasn't lying in the slightest. Lloyd had changed her from a pitiful artist to...whoever she was now. She'd fought people. Only a few, and most of them were on roller skates, but still. She didn't know how he managed to affect her life this much in the short amount of time she'd known him, but it was welcome. Lyra couldn't imagine going back to her old life and living in the dark about her father, about her powers.

Even though she was still kind of living in the dark about her Element, she knew more about it because of a five-minute conversation than anything Chen or Clouse had ever taught her.

Lloyd's eyebrows raised. Lyra may have imagined it, but his face looked a shade redder than usual.

No, that must be a trick of the light, Lyra deduced. Or he feels hot.

"We will get you both to Chen, and we will destroy the staff," Garmadon said.

"But--" Lloyd started.

"Perfect," Lyra cut in. When Lloyd frowned, she continued. "I'll be fine. I know the best hiding places, in case anything goes wrong, plus I have my Jade Blade." She lifted said Blade. "I can take care of myself."

"Are you sure the Jade Blade isn't cursed?" Lloyd asked, staring at the ruby in the middle of the golden hilt. "Seems like something Clouse would do."

Lyra shook her head. "The Kabuki and I made these, actually. Chen just approved the design."

Well, the third design. Lyra shuddered, remembering how mad her father was when her first attempt wasn't up to his standards, and how his anger grew when her second one was even worse.

"Anyways, let's go somewhere nice until nightfall," Lyra said. "I know a good place."

The four of them snuck back into the forest. Lyra took them close to the meadow by the eastern side.