12: Moving Out

"Do you have to leave?" Lloyd whined.

Lyra laughed. This was the fifth time he'd said this, and her answer was always the same. "I'll be back as soon as Skylor and I get everything sorted out."

They'd stayed up the entire night, celebrating and tending to wounds, and Lyra felt dead. Her entire body was just a stone. She had no idea how she'd stayed on her feet for that long.

"At least take my number or something," Lloyd begged. "It's--"

"Real subtle, Lloyd," Kai yelled from the Bounty's kitchen. Uproarious laughter broke out. Nya, Jay, Zane, and Cole were in there with him, finishing their breakfast.

Lyra rolled her eyes at his antics. Her face felt warm, though. "I don't have a cell phone, but we have a landline connected to each restaurant."

"YOU DON'T HAVE A PHONE?" Nya ran out of the kitchen, Jay right behind her. "HOW HAVE YOU SURVIVED THIS LONG?"

"Chen let me go on his laptop for an hour or so per week?" Lyra offered. "Generally, it was for art inspiration, but--"

"One hour per week?" Cole's jaw dropped. 

"In this day and age, that's almost unheard of," Zane said, striding out the door behind the rest of the ninja.

Lyra sighed. "Yes, I couldn't go on YouTube as a child, so sad. Now, I really have to go--"

"I'm meeting up with you soon," Nya announced. "We gotta get you a phone."

Lyra blinked. "Okay. As I was saying--"

"Lyra, what's taking so long?" Skylor yelled from outside the Bounty. "I thought you said you'd take one second? It's been five minutes!"

"Coming!" Lyra called. "Lloyd, what was your number again?"

Jay, Kai, and Cole snickered as Lloyd's face reddened. "Uh...5555-5555-0100."

"Perfect! Easy to remember. I'll be at the Central noodlehouse. Anyways, I think Skylor is about to abandon me, so goodbye!"

She turned on her heel and jumped off the side of the ship before anyone could stop her again, knowing she had minimal time before she crashed and fell asleep.

She summoned her dragon as she free-fell. Skylor manifested her own orange beast and they took off, riding toward the city that was about to become their new home.

~*~

"Hey, Marissa!" Lyra called to the general manager as the bell above the door rang, showing that she and Skylor had walked in.

"Well, if it isn't my two favourite employers!" Marissa grinned, turning around to face them and putting a hand on her hip. She was a tall, burly woman with curly brown hair and two red streaks in the front. They accented her warm brown skin beautifully. "Congrats on the promotion!"

"Thanks," Skylor said, smiling. "We just wanted to come and check in at our busiest restaurant before going to court with all the legal stuff."

"Well, everything's going smoothly. I trust that, after learning the new owners helped save the country, we'll see a spike in popularity, yeah?" Marissa asked. "Right now, we're about to start the day. You two look dead tired, though. We still have those empty booths you slept in two weeks ago, if ya want 'em."

Lyra and Skylor looked at each other, silently deciding to go to the court later. They followed Marissa to the back room, closing the door, turning the light off, and crawling into separate booths. Within moments, they were out.

~*~

Riiiiiing!

Lyra banged her head on the table as she tried to get up. "Ow," she muttered, rolling off the bench and lying in a heap of blankets on the ground.