7: The Truth

TW: Mentions of abuse (parental abuse). I will put another TW right before it starts, and then it'll keep going until the end of the chapter. TW recap will be at the end.

"Who are you looking at, Zippy?" Jay asked Griffen.

"The next one out of the tournament," the Master of Speed replied.

They were all on a blimp, cramped together in tiny seats. Lyra was half-leaning on Lloyd, as she was stuck between him and Jay and she'd rather be closer to Lloyd than Jay, mainly because Jay accidentally shocked anyone who touched him.

Yeah, that was why. And she totally just felt the exploding hummingbirds in her gut because she was scared of heights, even though she climbed trees all the time.

Definitely.

Lyra's gaze rested on Skylor. She hadn't gotten to talk to her about what she'd overheard. The entire night, Lyra hid in her room, making a few things she knew would be useful. 

She didn't sleep at all. She tried once, but every time she closed her eyes, she imagined the horrible blue snake swallowing her whole.

"Why so scared to show us your back, Shadow?" Kai asked. "Worried we're gonna find a tattoo and know you're working for Chen?"

"I hope this next fight is between you and me because I'm gonna put you on your back."

"That'swhatshesaid," Jay coughed.

Lyra and Lloyd snorted. Garmadon looked confused.

"Tensions are high," Garmadon commented.

"Yeah. Not as high up as we are now, though," Lloyd said. "You can hardly see the island from up here."

"I can't stand heights." Neuro was pacing. His tan face was the exact shade of the snow in the background of Lyra's second favourite painting she'd ever done. "Where's Chen?"

"Everything will be fine," Lyra told him. "This is actually safer than driving in cars."

Just then, Chen's face appeared on the screen at the front. Lyra shuddered as she looked at him, thinking of what he was planning to do. Lloyd glanced at her questioningly, then moved a bit closer, as if that would comfort her.

The hummingbirds and sudden rush of heat surging through Lyra's entire body were welcome distractions.

"How do I know if this thing's on?" Chen wondered aloud. "Oh, oh, oh, I see the light. Oh, oh, I'm on? Right now?" He cleared his throat. "Hello, final eight. I see you are all eager for the tournament to commence so one of you can win my Staff of Elements. Instead of fighting for a Jade Blade, today you will be fighting for something different."

He clicked a button, and security footage of Nya wandering through the forest played on the screen.

"Nya," Kai said, pointing. 

"You know her?" Skylor raised an eyebrow.

"It's my sister," Kai explained. For everyone around to hear.

If I weren't on your side, Kai, I'd totally be planning to use her as leverage to get you to do whatever I want. Lyra internally facepalmed. Wait, Skylor might be planning to do that right now. No, she wouldn't do that...right?

Lyra really wanted everything to just end already.

"We have an uninvited guest on the island," Chen stated. 

"And she must be holding the proof that'll stop Chen!" Kai realized. For everyone to hear. Again.

"Find her and you will automatically move on--" Chen continued.