2 ~ Fairies, Werewolves, Satyrs - Oh, My!

The bus sputtered up a long winding road that sloped through the mountains. Several cars had to honk and swerve out of the way just to avoid being sideswiped by this terrible driver. How did this woman even get her license? Kylie never warned me about this weirdo!

At some point, I wondered if I had actually made a mistake. What if this woman was actually a kidnapper? Luring teenage girls away in her tacky bus. But then again, the school sent me an official text clarifying her name. And it did match the one on her nametag. But of course, anyone could get a fake nametag. Maybe she was spying on my text messages!

Trembling, I clutched my necklace for comfort. I wasn't sure how much longer this torturous drive would take. The sky was getting darker, and the forest was getting spookier. Now, I really had a bad feeling. From what I could tell, we were driving on a rocky road because the bus rattled like a tin can being shaken by a toddler.

Just when I thought I was dead, I saw something that made my blood freeze. Signs. The headlights reflected the warnings written in black on the yellow diamond-shaped metal.

WOLF CROSSING – NEXT 5 MILES.

. . . Wolf crossing?!

NO TRESPASSING.

TURN BACK NOW.

DEAD END.

CAUTION: FALLING ROCK.

. . . I was dead! This had to be the wrong bus! This woman was probably a psycho maniac, and she was going to drive me off a cliff! Panic rose into my throat, and suddenly, I started to hyperventilate. This couldn't have been happening! No—I couldn't freak out now! So, I whipped out my phone and texted Kylie at lightning speed.

I think I'm being kidnapped! This creepy woman in a Vegas Baby tank top is driving me through the mountains in a gypsy van!

. . . No signal.

What?! Maybe I just needed to try again, so I resent the text . . . but still, no signal.

Holding my breath, I flew to my contact list and pressed my dad's name. I quickly forwarded the same text to him, but nothing would send. How could this happen? My parents owned air! This was ridiculous! Where was this woman even taking me?!

The final sign that we passed forced me to accept my fate.

Welcome to Specter Heights.

Great. I was nowhere near Frostlake High, which was just north of Aspen. If my signal wasn't working, my locator app probably wouldn't, either. Finally, I stuffed my phone into my purse and hugged my knees in defeat. Tears brimmed in my eyes, and I trembled slightly. I should've known I'd make a stupid mistake like this.

The bus abruptly stopped, but I was too scared to even move.

"Okay, everybody off. I got places to be!" the driver yelled.

I was the only person in this vehicle. "Where are we?!" I finally demanded.

"We're at 'da school you applied for."

"What?! I didn't apply for a school in Specter Heights!"

"Dat ain't no concern of mine. Take it up with 'da headmaster. But here's my card." She reached into her tank top and pulled out a card. "I'm 'da only one who knows how to get outta here. So, if you decide to bail, you know where to find me. 'Da local nightclub down in Bloodmoon Hollow. Plasma Shock."

I was underage! I couldn't enter a bar. Either way, I had no idea what to think . . . but since I had no other choice, I just picked up my bags and forced myself not to cry. I'm sure there was a misunderstanding, so I stepped into the crunchy grass and sniffled. The wacky bus sputtered off into the night, leaving me stranded at the fancy wrought-iron gate of a building that I didn't recognize.