12 ~ Revenge of the Killer Garlic

The day had been packed with so much fun that the trip left me feeling a little tired. Rusty cruised back to Specter Heights, and the smooth ride lulled me into a light catnap. By the time I opened my eyes again, we were already parked in front of the school gate. Amber shards of sunlight flickered through the treetops and glinted against the wrought iron.

Herb and Asher left to go back to their dorms, but Rusty stayed with me and helped me out of the jeep. He carried the pink shopping bag while I held on to the plastic bag of cookies and candy. After locking the car, he walked me back to my dark tower on the northernmost side of campus.

I let out a content sigh as we strolled down the sidewalk. "I had so much fun today."

"Yeah, me, too."

"We should do it again sometime," I suggested. "But maybe without the others. I didn't realize they were gonna separate."

"Yeah, and frankly, listening to that boy flirt with his mushrooms gave me the creeps."

I snorted into my hand. "I seriously doubt he was flirting with them."

"Yeah, whatever. Who else caresses a plant and whispers to it?"

Well, he got me there. But before I could respond, we had already reached the arched hickory door to my "dorm," so I jiggled my key through the scratchy keyhole. He carried the pink bag up the spiral staircase and placed it at the foot of my bed.

"Now, let's see what my new bedspread looks like." I pulled out the pink and blue butterfly comforter and tore off the plastic wrapping. Finally, I was able to get rid of the emojis once and for all.

My new butterfly-themed bed looked absolutely adorable. While I was busy replacing the pillowcases, Rusty stood on a stool and fit the tension rod between the window frames. The rosy curtains fell over the diamond-lead glass, and the orange sunlight beamed through the delicate sheer.

Now, my tower looked much more delightful. I didn't feel like such a prisoner anymore!

I clasped my hands together. "Yay! Thanks a lot, Rusty."

He scratched the back of his fluffy wolf ear. "No problem."

Smiling, I reached into the plastic bag on my end table. "Oh, before you go. Here." I unwrapped a peanut butter cup and handed it to him. "Try it."

He gave it a curious sniff and then popped the chocolate into his mouth. As soon as the flavor sank into his tastebuds, his eyes beamed with excitement.

"Woah, that's great." He unwrapped another and stuffed his mouth, causing me to giggle.

Honestly, I would probably make another trip sometime and get a matching rug to soften the hardwood floor. But for now, I liked my cute bedspread and curtains. Maybe one day, this place could actually look pretty cozy.

•❤•

The rest of the weekend consisted of hanging out with my friends, studying at the café, and listening to Rusty and Asher's banter. But before I knew it, it was Monday morning—the start of my second week at Specter High. Honestly, I was surprised I had even made it this far. But . . . it was only because of Rusty. If it weren't for him, I probably would have run for the hills long ago.

As always, I headed to the cafeteria for breakfast, but along the way, I sensed a new energy among the students. Girls were giggling to each other in small clusters, and guys were groaning and banging their heads against their lockers.

At first, I was confused, but then I noticed two fairies pinning a glitzy purple banner against the wall while hovering midair. They both pulled away from the big silvery words: