6 ~ My Own Little Tower

The sunset flooded the hallways with orange sunrays. Somehow, I had made it through my first day at Specter High. And luckily, I managed to make three new friends! And I was still in one piece. Now, I just needed to introduce Asher to Rus and Herb.

Currently, I was organizing my locker with the new textbooks that I had received today. Most of them were tomes, so it hurt my back to carry them for too long. The day had left me with a feeling of fatigue, so I couldn't wait to see my new dorm room. Hopefully, it was just as beautiful as this lovely building.

Asher was a few feet away from me, and he refilled the cans on his helmet with a thermos of soup from his locker. Around that time, Rus shuffled down the hallway with his duffel bag slung over one shoulder. His tail drooped along the floor, so he was probably a little tired.

"Oh, Rus! C'mere!" I called out. "I want you to meet someone."

"Okay . . ." He reluctantly joined my side, so I grabbed his wrist and faced him in Asher's direction. After refilling his cans, he shut his locker and looked Rus dead in the eyes.

"Rus, this is Asher. We met in art class."

"Millie!" he whispered through gritted teeth.

"What?"

"He's a vampire," he muttered.

"Oh, yeah—but he drinks iron-fortified soup. It's not blood."

His face twisted in disbelief. "And you believe that? I mean, there could be blood in those things."

"Wanna see my thermos?" Asher randomly asked.

"No, I don't wanna see your thermos!"

"It ain't blood."

"I wasn't accusin' you. And I don't care," he snarled.

"Well, if you don't care, then don't take it out on her," he countered. "Otherwise, it kinda looks like ya do."

"Ugh! Millie, don't talk to this clown. He's purposefully tryin' to say these backwards things just to confuse you. It's like hypnotism."

"Well, if you wanna survive at this school, you might not wanna be friends with someone's who's as dumb as a dog," Asher retorted.

"What's that 'sposed to mean?!"

"'Cuz everything that comes out of your mouth is stupid. It's like you read vampire romance or something."

Rus gritted his teeth, and his ears tilted backward. "Well, for all we know, you could be lyin' to her, too."

"Guys, don't fight. Besides, you're gonna have to get along. I invited him to go out of town with us."

"What?!" Rus choked. "You invited a vampire that you just met thirty minutes ago?!"

"Well, I just met you a few hours ago."

"She's got a point." He then popped his straw into his mouth and slurped his soup. "I mean, you're lettin' her bring the guy who grows shrooms. Yet you're worried about me?"

"I'm not worried about you. I'm worried about her. I mean, even if you're safe, there's creeps everywhere. Especially in candy stores. That's one of the deadliest places for a human."

What in the world? Where did he get this information? "Where did you hear that?"

"Well, then why were kids always taught not to take candy from strangers?" Rus challenged.

"Because the candy could be poisoned! But that doesn't mean axe murderers are hanging around in candy stores."

"This guy obviously doesn't know anything about the human world," Asher deadpanned.