11 ~ Howling Oaks

"Anyway, where should we eat?" I asked, holding my hands behind my back.

"Hmm. Y'like meat? Or are you a grass-eater?" Rusty asked.

"Uh, no, I don't eat grass," I laughed.

"I meant vegetable-tarin."

"You mean vegetarian?"

"Yeah, that. So, are ya?"

I held back a snicker. "No."

He beamed, and his tail wagged a little too eagerly. "Really? Phew. I thought most human girls were."

"Seriously? Why?"

"Well, aren't most of the famous ones grass-eaters?"

I just facepalmed and resisted the urge to laugh. "Well, only some of 'em. But they have all kinds of diets."

"Oh, okay. C'mon." He reached for my hand as if to take it, but then he stopped himself, blushed, and quickly turned around to lead me, instead.

Sometimes, he could be so adorable. He then guided me to an earthy cabin with a stone chimney and windows carved in the shape of every moon phase. What a clever concept! He then opened the door for me, and I took in the rustic interior that was similar to the steakhouses in my old town. A wooden sculpture of a howling wolf decorated the center of the restaurant. There were even tapestries of the creatures gathered around a full moon on a silver cliffside.

We both found a booth near a window and picked up the laminated menus. Unlike the café on campus, the food here actually sounded normal and safe to ingest. There was every type of prime meat from cow to rabbit. But they also sold a few pastas, including a "couple's entrée" of spaghetti and cream cheese meatballs. At first, I wondered why it was meant for couples, but then I remembered that cute scene from Lady and the Tramp.

"Have you ever gotten the spaghetti?" I teasingly asked.

His eyes popped out in shock. "What? No way! My parents get that every time they come here."

I couldn't hold my tongue. "So, is it because of that movie?"

"The one with the dogs? Yeah. Basically. It's some kinda running gag in the community."

Conveniently, I noticed a young couple from the corner of my eye eating the same dish—which actually contained a pretty generous serving. Their tails wagged feverishly as they slurped on the same noodle and touched noses. Suddenly, that gave me an idea.

"Y'know, I'm really in the mood for spaghetti. I just don't think I'd be able to finish that big of a serving," I hinted.

He just laughed. "Well, I do like meatballs. And the ones here are the best in town."

A big grin crossed my face. When the waitress came to the table, she gasped at the sight of us together. "Russell! Your mother didn't tell me you had a girlfriend."

He turned sheepish. "Oh, Millie, this is my mom's best friend. Ms. Pawlette. And we're not dating."

"Hi!" I cheerfully waved.

"Oh, so she's just a friend?" she teased. "A human friend?"

"Yes, and that's pretty obvious. So, can we order or what? We're starved."

"Oh, where are my manners? So, what can I get ya to drink, sug? And we got appetizers. And we got our special—"

"We know what we want!"

She just giggled and looked at me. "Oh, he's always been like that. Y'know, a barker."

"Har-har." He rolled his eyes. "So original. Anyway, I want the bacon float."