chapter 1

Can't Fight This FeelingSong by Junior CalderaSixteen

Song by Junior Caldera
Sixteen. Sixteen years old is what I am now.

Felix has been by my side for as long as I can remember. It's just a twist of fate that we both grew up in the same neighborhood. Our moms have been inseparable since high school, and that's how Young Bok and I became close.

But time has a way of revealing truths we'd rather not see. We were both fifteen at the time. It's been one year, five months, and a handful of hours since I last spoke to the person who used to be my closest friend. Young, charming, with a smile that could light up a room, Felix had a way of drawing people to him, myself included. I was captivated by his warm smile and honey-colored eyes, and I couldn't help but admire him. But things change. I've heard he dyed his hair; perhaps he's not the sunny boy he once was. Everything has its season, and ours seemed to have passed.

I sit by the window, curtains drawn, the dim light casting shadows on the rain-soaked street outside. A single candle flickers, its glow competing with the moonlight. The only sound is the gentle pitter-patter of raindrops, a soothing backdrop to my thoughts. "I hope I won't sound silly, but your eyes are like stars in the sky on a rainy day..."

I relish the quiet of early mornings, a time when the world is still asleep. It's a simplicity I cherish, even if it means waking up before dawn. Mornings make me feel connected to something greater.

Summer is drawing to a close, and September looms on the horizon, ready to usher in its surprises. Time marches on, unstoppable and indifferent.

I gaze out the window once more, committing every detail to memory. The wet streets, lined with identical houses, evoke both relief and sadness. I used to disdain their uniformity, but now they hold a special place in my heart.

The rain has been falling steadily, interrupted only by fleeting respites. But each time, it returns with renewed intensity.

I know it's time.

My mother and I load my belongings into the car trunk, the music providing a bittersweet soundtrack to our future farewell.

Standing in a crowded room

But all I see is you

Like a spotlight follows where you are

Do you know I never want to leave your side

Desire swallows up my pride, I can't say no,

As I watch the rain cascade down the windowpane, I can't shake the feeling of apprehension gnawing at my insides. Leaving behind the familiar comforts of home, I wonder what adventures and challenges await me in the unknown future. I slowly fall asleep, my mind swirling with a mix of excitement and uncertainty, unable to settle on any one thought.

My mother wakes me gently, her touch a reminder of her enduring love. As she hugs me goodbye, I can't help but feel a pang of sadness.

Yet, it's only Sunday. Monday holds its own surprises. Rain may be a blessing in disguise, but today, it seems intent on washing away more than just the dust on the streets.