chapter 6

Sohodolls-Bang Bang Bang Bang

Two years ago, on a sun-drenched full day painted with a palette of vibrant hues, the mellifluous songs of birds filled the air, casting a serene ambiance over the typically quiet street. Amidst this idyllic scene, a loud, resonant knock shattered the tranquility, reverberating through the stillness like a discordant note in a symphony.

The source of this interruption was a tall boy, his hair as white as freshly fallen snow, a striking contrast to the typical appearance of Koreans. A gentle, almost summery breeze swept through the air, offering a welcome respite from the warmth of the day as it tousled his hair playfully. Without hesitation, he made his way to his neighbor's house after completing his tuition, his footsteps echoing against the pavement as he approached the familiar door.

With each knock, anticipation hung in the air, mingling with the melodious chorus of birdsong. Yet, there was no response from within, no indication that his presence had been acknowledged. Undeterred, he persisted, knocking once more, his determination unyielding.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity of waiting, the door swung open with a thunderous sound, revealing a petite girl barely reaching his chest in height. Unlike the boy, whose very presence seemed to command attention and admiration, the girl appeared unassuming, her appearance best described as average. Clad in oversized glasses and with her black hair perpetually tied in a bun, she exuded an air of simplicity, unaware of the existence of makeup products or the art of refinement.

As their eyes met, he offered her one of his trademark smiles, but to no avail. Unlike the usual reaction his smile elicited, today was different. Despite the warmth and sincerity conveyed through his expression, she remained unmoved, her heart refusing to dance to its usual rhythm.

In that moment, a silent understanding passed between them, a shared acknowledgment of an unspoken truth. They both knew, and yet they chose to feign ignorance, to pretend that everything was as it always had been. For they were best friends, and on this seemingly ordinary fall day, they sought solace in each other's company, finding comfort in the familiarity of their bond amidst the chaos of the world.

"So, care to let me in, Pumpkin? I've brought your favorite, vanilla ice cream," he offered, breaking the silence with a gentle reminder of their shared indulgence.

But deep down, she knew the truth. She had tried her best and failed, time and time again. Days and nights of relentless effort had yielded nothing but disappointment, leaving her feeling inadequate and unworthy. She had fallen short once more, relegated to second place in a world that seemed to favor the exceptional over the ordinary.

In that moment, she hated herself, despising her perceived shortcomings and yearning for a sense of validation that always seemed just out of reach.