Chapter 3 - Rank

The silence is killing me, no one is talking, absolutely no one. At first I didn't mind, it was peaceful, but it has switched into an awkward silence. I stare out the window, trying to fall asleep, there have been a few times when I almost drifted into never ending darkness, but with all the bumping I don't think it's humanly possible. Instead, I decided to try and focus on where exactly this "Pit" is.

The bus has continued on the same road since we left the city with only a few turns. This road however we have been on for hours, but I could be wrong. The ride has been so intensely boring that I might just die.

The landscape hasn't changed at all and the sun has only dipped into our faces a little bit. A slight orange tint has ringed the sky just above where the ground and sky collide, soon there will be reds and yellows that create a beauty that painters only wish they could copy.

Suddenly, the windows are blacked out and nothing is visible from the outside. With my view gone, the only thing keeping my boredom at bay has disappeared, I sit up and yell at the driver," Driver! What did you do to the windows?"

He doesn't answer, won't even look back at me, his eyes are focus on the narrow road ahead.

Every window has gone dark, except the very front window that the driver looks through, but the edges are charcoal and the further into the middle you go it becomes clear enough for the driver too see, just not enough for those of us back here to get a good view on what's going on outside.

I am about to rise from my seat to creep up behind the driver to get a good glance out the window when Messy takes his foot and steps on my foot.

"What the hell? Watch where you put your feet, you giant gorilla!"

He leans close to me and whispers," If you get up and walk over to him we will all have a problem because you are supposed to be locked up and they don't like those who do whatever they please. Idiot."

While he talks to me I can feel the slightest stubble of hair forming on his chin and his lips touch my ear for a sec, but they are rough.

As much as I hate to admit it, he's right. The guard will most likely stop the bus and make sure I am locked up before we go anywhere and that just means more time in a stinking bus with minimum light. I settle down and sit without moving.

Then the girl sitting behind Messy leans forward asks, "How did you get out?"

I turn my head to look at her, now I could fully see the piercing on her tongue, a small round ball in the center with a little end pointing out underneath her tongue. Carefully, I get out my pin and show it to her. "This."

"Could I use that?"

"You will owe me later." I replay in a flat voice and a serious face making, looking her straight in the eyes for when she responds, so I know she won't lie to me.

The corners of her mouth tilt upward and a sweet sound escapes her. "Fine, but you should know that everyone helps out each other here. Well, almost."

I hand her the pin and she grabs the very end of it as if she would rather fight a shark than touch me. She unlocks the cuffs and gives me the pin back, after she rubs her wrists which are red circles.

She looks at me with one blue eye and one purple eye that match her hair, most likely she has two different types of contacts in to keep the theme of her hair. With one look at me she nods her head making her blob or hair go up and down.

"Girl, let me see that too." Messy states in a definite voice like he gets whatever he wants.

"Don't call me girl." I reply with a tired voice.