Chapter 4 - New Rules

The picture is of Ms. Evergreen, well she's actually Cate Blanchett. But it's who I envision her as.
-------------------------------------

The bus stops in front of the security gate and three guards come out from the little security house that sits next to the gate.

They move around the vehicle, checking to make sure nothing is on the bus that isn't supposed to be. Soon enough, they move away and open the gates, which swing open without a sound.

The driver moves the bus forward through the gates toward another building I didn't see earlier. It is right on the edge of The Pit.

The bus parks in front of the building and waiting for us are eight guards. The bus is shut off and the doors pushed open. All of the guards start walking toward us.

It finally clicks in my head that the guards are coming for us, so I rush to click my handcuffs back into place. Everyone else is already done putting the handcuffs back on by the time I finish.

One guard comes onto the bus and grabs the girl from the front of the bus, not to kindly, and she tumbles off the bus. Then, the guard unlocks and grabs the arm of the girl with a million piercings. She stumbles off the bus and is put next to the bigger girl, forming a short line outside of the bus.

Once again the guard comes, for me this time. He unlocks the cuffs from the pole and quickly re-cuffs my hands back together. My chained hands clank with every step as I walk down the bus aisle, the steps, and finish at the end of the line behind the two girls.

After a short moment, Messy bounds down the stairs to stand right behind me. He is suddenly full of energy as he lightly bounces up and down. Messy doesn't stop his energetic movement until Mik, Daniel, and the boy from the back of the bus are all outside and in line. Then all of a sudden, he stops.

I peak a glance over at him. His eyes are focused straight at the guard, following him silently like a tiger ready to strike.

In its depths are a pitch black coldness that seems to freeze the air around him. Below his eyes, his jaw clenches tightly, loosens, and then repeats the process. All of the muscles in his arms and legs tighten and loosen, the same as his jaw. Over and over again.

A murderous rage radiates off of his body, the guard doesn't seem to notice, but that's his mistake because that look in his eye is enough to stop someone's heart.

One of the guards who has a clipboard in his hand begins to move back and forth in front of us, taking time to glare at each of us.

His hair has been highlighted from so many days in the sun, along with tanned skin and a slight limp. Normally, he wouldn't be all that high and mighty, if it weren't for the gun that pokes out from where it is holstered in his belt. An object that could instantly stop anyone won of us with a little twitch of a finger.

The guard isn't the only one with a gun. Each guard has gun on their belt and the towers that keep us locked in each have long sniper rifles pointed at us.

Not that you can really see it, but when you look up you can see the glint of the deadly black weapon, something that can swiftly end your life.

The guard in front of us passes Messy without thinking twice about the venom in his veins.

Then, he stops at the front of the line, near the first girl who got off, right in front of the gray, featureless building behind him. He clears his throat and says, "When I call your name, take a step forward. Becky Shule."

The bigger girl that was in front takes a quiet step forward, her eyes toward the ground and her shoulders slummed forward. He steps forward, and stands a few steps in front of her. With one flick of his hand, the other guards in waiting walk over and pat her down.