Chapter 12 - MIA

It's been a week since then. Ms. Crimson was pissed when she found out that we skipped out and did nothing for the rest of the day. We were forced into jail cells for an entire day with only one meal. What right does she have to take away my food, you do not mess with my food.

Messy is asking around and using his "connections" to find information. He told me to wait until we got a clue or something to go off before we start our hunt, but nothing. Were the files I found real or was someone just playing with me? I need to find out, I might go crazy if I don't.

If I didn't kill them, who did? Was someone else there on the night they died? No one else could have killed them though. I was right there watching the entire time they died. It was all me.

I remember that day. Peri called me and sounded really upset about something. She was slightly frantic and wasn't making any sense. I told her to calm down and breathe. After she relaxed a bit, she said she and Meka wanted to meet me. Of course I agreed and met them. I left immediately, snuck past my parents, but my brother saw me leaving. He didn't say a word, just looked at me. I put a finger to my lips telling him to keep quiet. He nodded in return, that was all I needed.

We all met in the wooded area of the park, right next to the pond. It was late and there weren't many people around, the sun was almost completely set by the time I got there. Peri and Meka beat me there and were sitting on some rocks near the water and then...

"Teca. Which do you think is better? Living in the Pit for the rest of your life or living a plain boring life, where all you do is work, have a family, and die anonymously?" Mik asks.

"Obviously, having a normal life. One filled with love and purpose. Why would I want to live in a hole for the rest of my life?" Reagan responds.

Both look at me expecting an answer. The truth is I wasn't really paying attention, but I have a pretty good idea about what they are talking about.

"Um... a normal life."

"Why? You need a reason."

"Because I don't want to feel like someone might kill me just because I looked at them. Personally I'd like to live."

"That's the stupidest reason we ever heard." Mik comments.

"Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not for me to point it out?" I challenge.

"I am sorry if I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew."

"Cut it out you to." Reagan says looking at both of us.

"Fine. I am sorry I called you an idiot. That was an insult to idiots everywhere." I apologize.

"Enough guys. Though, I think I agree with Mik. Here, you know people can kill and so you keep your guard up to prevent them from doing so. This way there is at least a heads up and you aren't totally ignorant of your surroundings. Out there is a totally different game. You don't know if someone will come up to you randomly and kill you. Plus, there are a million different accidents that happen in real like that could also kill you. Just think about it, your chances of dying here are probably the same as out there."

"Excellent point. So, are you changing your mind? The other one was clearly broken." Mik responds to antagonize me.

"Sure, if didn't have to go to prison afterward. Hey, you can't insult me, I just sided with you."