Chapter IV: Who We Used to be

The Moonfall Kingdom, approximately two years ago..

It was a cool afternoon. Two dominantly nightcap, but partial rose sprouts decided to.. not take advantage of the weather. The moon shone high, in that serene way it did in Moonfall. Nicholas and Cobolt were enjoying the day in the form of a game.

They were within the confines of their home, with their mother currently running errands. Their house wasn't the largest, or the fanciest. It was old, with creaky floorboards and and leaking roof. Nicholas and Cobolt had to share a room due to a lack of space.

When they originally moved in, there was a random spare room they had no idea what to do with. They already had a closet, two bedrooms, and a family room. So, they turned it into what became to be known as the playroom.

"But you're always the Gembearer!" Nicholas was complaining.

"I get to be the Gembearer because I'm older and more mature," Cobolt had replied. He puffed his chest out, crossing his arms as he continued with, "now pipe down and be the Zombie."

"No fair! You never make Serenia be the Zombie."

"That's because Serenia only visits for so long. We have to make her time here worthwhile, even if that means some sacrifice."

Nicholas groaned, but conceded as he always did. "What Gemstone are you gonna use this time?" he asked sourly. "The Amethyst of Shadows, obviously. It's the best one," Cobolt said.

"Wow. Didn't see that one coming," Nicholas said. Cobolt chose the Amethyst every time they played Zombies & Gembearers.

"That's not what zombies say!"

Nicholas lolled his head as far back as he could and dramatically hung his arms out. "Brainss," he drawled as unenthusiastically as possible.

"Perish, zombie scum!" Cobolt shouted in an attempt to be heroic. He leapt on the playroom table, charged up an imaginary laser and fired it at Nicholas.

"That's not how the Amethyst works!"

"It's how my version of the Amethyst works. And you just had a laser fired at you, but you're still standing. Be realistic, brother."

"You're such a cheater." Despite the statement, Nicholas clutched the part where Cobolt shot him and toppled over. He ended up collapsing on a pile of building blocks, to which he recoiled in yelling and jumping up as if he'd touched a hot surface.

"Are you okay?" Cobolt immediately dropped the act in favor of checking on Nicholas. "One of the blocks stabbed me.." Nicholas gestured to his back, small tears gathering at the corners of his eyes.

"Let me see."

Cobolt circled around behind Nicholas. The younger nightcap internally winced when Cobolt sharply inhaled. "That looks.. yikes. That corner got you good."

"Is it that bad?" Nicholas, who couldn't see the injury, could only go off Cobolt's reaction. "Oh, yeah. The only reason why you're still able to stand is because you're strong like that."

"R-Really?"

"Yeah, Nick. You're very tough. Always have been." Cobolt's hand brushed over the spot where the block hurt Nicholas. There was no marking, no imprint. Even calling it an "injury" was a stretch. "We should put a bandage on it so Mom doesn't worry. Stay here. I'll get one."

Nicholas wiped his eyes, forcing himself to put on a brave face. Cobolt believed he was strong. He had to live up to that. Once the dark blue nightcap returned, he slapped the bandage on Nicholas. "Aaand there! Good as new," Cobolt said once it was secured.