Chapter XVI: Cursed Blessings

The Seashore Kingdom

While Nicholas and Harmonia pursued Cobolt, Stelora placed herself between the two slowly collapsing buildings. Inside, the fearful cries of the civilians were all too clear. She plunged the blunt end of her spear into the first-story windows of either building, shattering them.

"Grab hold!" She urged. One by one, the citizens were safely removed from their home and away from the danger site. She repeated the process until she reached the top. Scaling the building were maneuvers made easier by the Amber. Repeating the motions, the sunflower lowered the citizens in the direction of solid ground, where the other townsfolk could cushion the fall.

Stelora did one more pass on the inside of the building, ensuring there was nobody else inside. Then, she spotted movement in the back, hidden behind toppled furniture.

Stelora, you must get inside!

The reasoning for Elethea's words was revealed to Stelora in no time; the buildings weren't simply becoming one with the ground, but one with each other. Stelora dove through the window right before the structures met. The sound of the walls crashing together consumed her hearing. Stelora moved fast, acutely aware of the building in the process of becoming a pile of rubble.

"Hey!" She found a sprout gripping onto a couch for dear life, which was slowly slipping as the building toppled. His eyes were tightly shut, yet once he heard Stelora's voice, the way he opened his eyes before immediately throwing himself at her spoke volumes.

"It'll be okay. I'll get us out of here," she said. The rose held on tight as Stelora made a break for the other side of the home. The sunflower tucked the sprout towards her before leaping at the window, using her spear to help with breaking the glass. They landed in a tumble, though Stelora took most of the fall. The Gemstone gave her enhanced resistance, so she would be fine. The kid was unharmed, thankfully. Her gaze flickered to the buildings. The part where the two buildings crashed together had turned to debris. The Cora-Touched, quicksand-like ground responsible for such didn't look like it would deactivate until everything in proximity was gone.

She released the sprout, whose parents ran forward to embrace him.

"Thank you so much. We thought he was right behind us!" The mother had tears streaming down her face, likely those of relief. Stelora could only imagine how they felt, being on the sidelines as some stranger went to rescue their son. Had she failed, he would be among the fallen structuring.

"You're one of those members of House Solarex, right?" Only gratitude shone on the father's face. "That's correct, sir. I'm.." Stelora faltered. Introducing herself with her royal title felt wrong. So she didn't. "..Stelora."

"Miss Stelora, we're all very grateful." The father gestured to the entire crowd of people she'd saved. "Is there anything we can do to repay you?"

"I'm afraid that's not necessary," Stelora said quickly. "Your leaves will be full, now that you've nowhere to stay." After all was said and done, Stelora was ready to take her leave. Nicholas and Harmonia likely couldn't deal with Cobolt alone—

Something latched onto her leaf blade, drawing her attention. The sprout had a wonderstruck expression lighting up his entire face, instilling a mild sense of discomfort within her. "Do you.. have something to say?" she asked.

"You're a Gembearer," he said. Well.. it was rather obvious after such a performance, wasn't it? "Thanks for saving me! My name's Thorne." The previous fear Stelora witnessed on Thorne's face left no trace. "..It's what we do," she said. He beamed.

Would any of them eye me with the same amazement, should they know about what I've done..?

Those were the things running through Stelora's mind as she parted ways from them. Beside her, Elethea took a brief moment to materialize.