Chapter XIII: Who We Can Still be

If Stelora had hair, every strand would be standing on end. She found herself unable to tear her eyes away from the gem extractor, that of which he handled with such carelessness.

"Stella, Stella, Stella. I have missed saying that name, I won't lie." He shut the door behind him. "So why does the very sight of you fill me with bitter hatred?"

"I was going to go back for you," she said.

"When you were done frolicking in the fields with your beloved father and sister?" Cobolt's words dripped with venom, stinging her with regret. "Yeah. I didn't think so."

Stelora, you must get help! What he holds there is..

"You're acting as though you wouldn't have done the same for Serenia."

I know, but he's blocking the only way out.

Quite a predicament we're in..

Cobolt recoiled at her words. "How do you know about that?"

Ah-ha! So it is true.

"All that matters is, it's a bit hypocritical, no?" She followed up.

"Don't act as if you know about my situation."

"Everything you're doing, you're doing for her," Stelora kept going nonetheless. She remembered what her father said about her happiness, his words empowering. "Cobolt, I'll have you know I am well aware of your predicament, just as you were aware of mine. Therefore, you should be able to empathize."

The nightcap scoffed. "Stella, you've been down there. You have firsthand experience on how wretched it is. How can you expect me to empathize under those circumstances?!" Then, he gestured to the space between them. "These circumstances?"

"Yes, Cobolt, I know how bad it is. So you can see why I didn't want to return." She extended a leaf blade with utmost earnesty. "I may not have gone back for you then, but I want to right that wrong." Her leaf blade grew shaky, but she held strong. "The Applegate is a lie. Everything they tell you are all falsehoods to get you to do their bidding."

"I know that!" Cobolt slapped Stelora's leaf blade and the opportunity away in one fell swoop. "And it's far too late for apologies. I have a new plan now, which doesn't involve you!"

He lunged, barely giving her an opportunity to duck out of the way. She activated her Gemstone, summoning her spear to deflect the spore shots Cobolt sent her way. With it, it was far easier to keep him at bay. One mustn't forget about Moonshine, however.

He grabbed a nearby pillow, whispering something to it before hurling as he could in her direction. She dodged, noting how it was easy to avoid. Too easy.

Careful!

The sunflower was knocked to the floor faster than she could react. The pillow had turned as heavy as a pile of bricks as soon as Stelora dodged it, it seemed. Cobolt reached for the table lamp, using it to maneuver the pillow off her head.

"What's wrong?" She gritted out. "Can't touch it?"

"Enough chit-chat. You know how the curses work," Cobolt replied with a harsh edge.

"What are you waiting for?" Stelora glared into the deep pools of navy that were Cobolt's eyes. She was pressed against the wall in an upright position, with Cobolt directing the tool directly at the center of her stem. "Get it over with."

For some reason, there was hesitance. At her provocation, he pushed until the extractor's edges were nearly piercing her stem. Still, he didn't press the trigger. There was yet another unidentifiable look in his eyes. But then, Stelora took a closer look. There was something she recognized.