Prologue pt.1

Years ago in junior High -

"Y/n?...y/n?...hello?"

I snap out of my day dream to look who said my name. My friend since 3rd grade sits down beside me at the lunch table.

"Oh hey Jess"

I say as you push your food around my tray. Jess starts to ramble about some new kid. I start to go back to my day dream of leaving Sioux Falls and the wretched jail they call Junior high. I feel a slight sting on my arm. The sting starts to get worse.

"Y/n! Y/n!" Jess said in a hush whisper.

I look at Jess realizing she was the one causing the sting on my arm from her continuous slapping.

"What Jess?-."

A boy with shaggy chocolate brown hair and brown puppy eyes sits down at Jess and I's table.

"Hi- my name is Sam"

This kid seemed like he was genuine but there was something eating at me about who he was. I catch myself staring when Jess won't stop coughing, trying to get my attention.

"Oh uh- hey my name is y/n and this is Jess."

Sam studies my face and I can feel my cheeks burn up under his gaze.

What is he doing? What is he thinking? Is my hair okay?

Jess scoots closer to Sam and starts talking with him. He slowly takes his eyes off me and I let out a breath I was apparently holding. I keep pushing my food around and daydreaming only responding with "yeah" and "huh" every so often when Jess would talk to me. The bell finally rings and as I get up one of the football linemen pushes me into the table.

"Watch where you're going, freak show".

I sigh and grab my tray heading to my next class. Advanced literacy. Books where my escape from this nightmare of school other than my day dreaming. This class or any English class for that matter was my favorite because it was always fun for me. As I walk in, a familiar pair of puppy brown eyes catches my gaze.

Is the only chair open by him?.. seriously?..

I walk to the empty seat and sit next to Sam.