Prologue pt.2

Few years later / 10th grade year of highschool -

Why do I keep thinking about that kid from 8th grade? He only stayed here a few months. Why should I care about someone I didn't know that long. And why does his puppy dog eyes seem to always be on my mind...

My thoughts start to shift to the new school year when all the sudden I run smack into a wall. A breathing wall? A warm breathing wall?

Oh jeez no not the football players..

I start to slightly shake as you look up and see a guy with hair to his jaw that looked..

chocolate brown?

And his smile was bright and his eyes..

brown puppy dog eyes...

"Sam?!"

I exclaimed a little louder than I anticipated. The now tower of a human being looked down and gave me his boy next door smile.

"Hey y/n, it's been a while huh?"

He engulfed me into a hug and after a bit of hesitation I did the same. Y'all stood there like that for a while. So much so that people started to whisper. The whispers broke the nirvana him and I were in.

"I should get going to class"

" I'll see you around"

He give me his genuine soft smile again. This time my heart jumps when it happens and my face goes a dark crimson. I speed down the hallway to my next class ignoring the glances and whispers following me. The school day goes by fast with my day dreams keeping me company. A shrill ring is heard throughout the school and people start leaving for the end of the day. The ring brings me back to reality. I grab my bag and head to the front of the school. My mom was picking me up today since I had to go to my grandparents this weekend. The pitter patter of the rain escapes my ears as I think of the boy with brown puppy dog eyes. I walk down the front steps and the rain starts to dampen my clothes and hair. I step back under the awning with a sigh.

Of course it rains the day you don't have a hoodie.

5... 10.. 15... 30 minutes pass without any sign of mom or dad. I keep trying to daydream of leaving Sioux Falls but brown puppy eyes and shaggy hair keeps changing it. As if on cue, the roar of a 67' Chevy impala wips into the front of the school. An older guy in his early adult years is sitting in the front seat..

Headbannging?..

He is listening to old rock music that I and my dad love. I smile remembering the times I would drive around with my dad listening to all his music. Suddenly something runs into me. Not really something but someone.

"Oh I'm so sorry-"

Sam looks at me and how I'm shivering from the freezing rain. He looks at the older guy in the car then back to me.

"Do you need a ride?"

"Oh uh- yeah my parents must've forgot to get me"

I smile politely and follow Sam to the car. The driver turns down the music and flips down the passenger seat allowing Sam and I to get in the back seat.

"So Sammy got himself a broad?"

The older guy says with a wicked grin across his face.

"Dean, do you always have to be so rude to women? This is my friend Ann from when we first went here. Her parents forgot to get her after school so I offered her a ride home"

Sam glares at his brother, apparently named Dean, and puffs up his chest trying to be tough.

"Whatever Sammy"