Prologue

YVONNE

My heart drums in my chest as I speed down the highway after I just left my fiancé standing in front of the altar.

I instinctively have to look if there are any cars chasing me, and I find a few black SUVs that Theodore probably sent to bring me back. I press the pedal to go faster, not being sure if this kinds of speeds are even legal. Probably not. But then again, my fiancé is a duke, so he'll probably get away with it. I'll probably get away with it too, giving the fact it's a small country and I'm best friends with the queen.

Our wedding was supposed to be Cordelia's event of the year. After Liv's wedding who costed a few million dollars, making it fit for the queen she is, ours was supposed to be second to that. The gown I'm still wearing was tailored by the designer who made the wedding dresses for every princess and queen this country has ever had. Theodore rented a whole estate at Lake Melore, and we planned the event to be right at sunset. Well, the wedding planner did. I had no idea I'll be getting married until one week before the ceremony, when all the details had already been arranged, and my Dad introduced me to my fiancé, a man I have never met before. I had heard of Theodore Castellan from the news or from Livie, but I had never met him in person. And truth to be told, it was for the best. Would I have met him in person, I would have pulled a stunt bigger than to steal his car and flee from our wedding. Maybe I would have signed a national decree.

I, Yvonne Pruitt, hereby declare I will never, and by that I mean never from my first to last breath, marry Theodore Florenzo De Garra Castellan the Third.

He says I'm too quiet but he talks too much. And his personal favourite topic is himself. And his estate. One I was expected to settle down in and provide him heirs. My modelling career would just disappear, no question asked. I told him I like travelling, he said that he'd like me at home, since he wants to know the mother of his children safe. I told him I like going on runways, he told me that isn't really a job. I told him I like posting videos of me making outfit checks and presenting my clothes, he said it is nonsense.

As you see, my fiancé and I didn't quite see eye to eye.

And now for the question you're probably all asking yourselves: why him? As previously mentioned, I had no say whatsoever in the choice of a husband. I ain't even looking for one. Were it up to me, I'd stick to my travelling and casual hookups. But no. Dad is the owner of our small's country most important bank. He has always been a big name in the Cordelian elite, being close with the monarchy. Theodore is a duke, meaning he is also important. Dad wanted me to marry well, Theodore needed a bride.

It was a perfect match.

Only we were anything but.

I almost lose grip of the steering wheel and almost hit a stop sign, yet I quickly regain control of the vehicle and continue driving. Car chases weren't meant for me, apparently. Or fast drives. I'd rather take my time driving along the coast, being able to admire the landscape.

I weigh my options inside my head. Go back to the church and ask them to cancel the wedding. Probably won't happen after how I just ran away, stopping Theodore mid sentence as he was about to say his vow. I could head back home, where Daddy will give me a lecture, then he'll just reschedule the wedding. Another no. I could go over to Liv's, but chances that they will find me there given the fact that girl lives in the freaking castle are high. I could try to convince my Mom who seemed to be on my side, but she'll probably give up and also say I need to marry in the end. She finds the fact I'm twenty-six and unmarried rather alarming.

As a result, I end up doing the one thing I seem to be best at.

Running away.

I steer the car to drive to the Cordelia International Airport. It ain't far, I notice. I could make it, I think. I have enough money on the cards in my wallet. And even if Dad decides to cut me off, I'd still have the money I win from my runway shows and I'll just start posting more content or modelling more. I'll visit the world, and no one back home will have to hear from me for some time. As soon as I think the whole thing calmed down and there is no way they'll be sending me with Theodore again, I'll just return.

I got this.

I park his car in front of the airport, for him to see it. I wasn't planning on stealing it. I only ever meant to burrow it so I can run away from him. I managed to outcome the SUVs a while ago, as I pretended to steer on one street then waited for my chance for a truck to pass and me to change directions without them noticing. And because I was raised with manners, I leave my fiancé a note. I obviously have no paper or pen, given I just escaped my wedding, so I take the next best thing. My lipstick. His windshield. I write a quick "Thank you for the car. Don't come looking for me, for I'd only keep running further. xo Yvonne", then waltz inside the airport, catching people's attention with my huge bridal dress. The gown creates a show on its own. If I wouldn't have had to wear it at my own wedding, I might have actually liked this dress.

The woman at the counter also gives me a questioning look as she sees me, but I only put on a polite smile and say: "What is the next flight you have?"

She only gets even more confused, yet she decides to help out her costumer. "We got a flight heading for Copenhagen in twenty minutes."

That's just perfect. I know countless of people in Copenhagen. I spent some months there in a Summer holiday, as I was seeing this guy there. Didn't work out, but I got some pretty amazing memories from that place.

"One ticket please", I tell the woman at the counter.

A bit unwillingly really, she hands me the ticket, wishing me a nice trip.

I go on that plane with a crushed heart but healing dreams.