Chapter 4

YVONNE

"We're getting married", Theodore's voice keeps replaying in my head. My Dad is telling me something, but I'm frozen on the voice, the way he now looks at me like I'm a trophy he just won. Like my life, everything I built for myself in these past few months is meaningless, and the moment he gets his hands on me, I'll only live for him.

"What about my career?", I yell.

He shrugs. "What career?"

Whatever lie he could say, these two words hurt more than anything. He saw the shift in my mood, so he spins out something to make it more bearable and look good in front of my parents. "Sweetheart, I can provide for both of us. And besides, that much travelling ain't good for you. Do you even have a place to call home?"

"Yes", I lie. Not such a lie. Anywhere but next to you.

Theodore sighs exhausted, rubbing his temples. "Well, we already settled a date and have booked the location. We're getting married, Yvonne. And don't try pulling a little stunt like last time. I'm done of your games."

"You're done of my games?!", I shout. "You're done of my games, when you're the one forcing me to marry you?!"

"Yvonne", Father tries stopping me.

"No", I feel unstoppable now. "I'm done. I'm not getting married. I knew coming back here was a mistake."

"Don't say that, I missed you", Theodore replays, fucking winking at me when my parents aren't looking at him.

Deep breaths, Yvonne.

"I am sorry, but I can't get married", I say.

"Why not?", Dad asks. "Did you find someone else in these months you were away?", Theodore asks me, almost expecting me to say no.

Because the answer is no.

"Yes", I lie. Panicked looks from everyone at the table. I only nod, getting more confident. What harm can a small little white lie do? "Yes. Yes, I did." And if Theodore can play Father, what speaks against me doing it. It's foolish, but I'll do whatever it takes to save myself. Last time, I ran. Now, I have to fight. "Dad, I'm so sorry. But I fell in love."

Dad is one step away from fainting, Theodore might have a heart attack, and Mom looks...happy? For me? I guess.

"How long?", my "fiancé" asks.

Pinterest says Geminis are dramatic. Just wait and see how dramatic this Gemini can get.

"A few months now. We wanted to keep it private", I continue.

"Well, I couldn't care less", Theodore lets out.

I innerly raise an eyebrow. Honestly, this guy really can't read the room.

"You're engaged to me. Have been for eight months, to be honest", he barks.

"No. Because the moment I left that church, I ended our engagement. And I am engaged to somebody else. I'm sorry", I shout.

Everybody goes quiet. I go quiet. And realise what I just said.

Fuck me.

"I...", I want to take it back now but it is too late.

"I don't see a ring on your finger", Theodore shouts, at the same time Mom says: "Yvonne" and Dad says: "What is this all about?"

"It happened a few months ago", the aesthetic craving heart beating inside me says. "We were driving along the French Riviera, as he stopped the car. It was sunset, and you had a view over the sun setting in the sea. He went down on one knee. He was in a tux, his eyes mirroring the sky. He pulled a small ring box from his pocket and asked me to be his wife. I didn't have to think much about it, before I said yes. It's then we drove in the sunset together, with Always Be My Baby playing from the radio. He knew it is my favourite song."

I wasn't lying. About the favourite song part. About everything else, yes.

The three at the table look at me with the mouths wide open.

"So where is the ring?", Theodore asks, still inspecting my empty finger. "You said it was pure love."

"I told you, him and I want to keep it private. We both are very busy right now, so it simply was too much all at once. But we'll soon make the engagement public, and I can't wait for you to see the ring. He went full in."

"I don't believe you", again Theodore.

Great, me neither. But at least shut up.

He looks at my Dad, so so do I. Father doesn't seem as convinced either.

"Well, I'd like to meet him", he says.

Great.

"He's really busy", I try to buy my way out of this.

"She's lying", Theodore points out. "There is no fiancé. I am the fiancé. Because you fucking promised her to me."

When I give him a shut up look now, Father does it too.

"Yvonne", Dad says, looking at me. "I am happy if you're happy, I hope you know that. And I really am happy that you found love." The break he now makes shows me there is a but coming. "But, I did promise Theodore he could marry you."

"But Dad", I shout. "I do not love him."

Theodore gives me a look to shut up.

"You'll learn to", I'm told.

Someone point me directions to the next wall.

"Look, let's do it like this. You said he's busy right now, so let's meet him in March."

"It's November now", I remind him.

He nods, not seeing a problem in that. "It means you two have enough time. You could bring him to my birthday party. There is nothing I'd love more than to celebrate together with my baby girl and the man who won her heart."

I smile at him, yet it fades away as he continues: "However, if you two break up, you have to marry Theodore."

Forget wall, show me the next cliff.

Theodore smirks victorious, thinking he already won.

Which in fact, he did. There is no way I'm finding a husband til March. I can kiss my life goodbye.

I cling to the wine glass, I raise it in the air as Father proposes a toast.

"To love", he says.

To the ones lucky enough to find it.