Chapter 12

YVONNE

A chill is going down my spine as I enter the La Plaza Hotel. I search for Levi, or anyone I know, but there is no one. Instead, I decide to go to the reception, where I say: "Hello, my name is Yvonne Pruitt. I'm here to..."

Only the receptionist already hands me a key, saying: "Fifth floor, first door on the right. Room number 501. Have a good stay."

What the -

I take the key, thanking him, and go to the elevator. My heart beats like crazy, as  I knock at the door, which opens immediately. I walk inside and find myself face to face with Levi.

"Hey", I let out, since he's a bit too close and I find this rather uncomfortable.

As if he knew, he takes a step back, makes sure the door is closed, and heads to a small bar in his thousand dollars room.

"Want anything to drink?", he asks me.

I shake my head, while he pours himself a glass of whiskey. I find a rather appealing couch, which I take a sit on. Levi decides to lean against the wall, crossing his arms at his chest. When I first saw him, he was wearing a shirt and a jacket, now, when he's only in his T-Shirt, I can understand why everybody makes edits of him on Under The Influence or Daddy's Home. Those arms have something.

"So, you're here to talk about fake dating me?", he asks.

I nod. Then decide to go one step further. "Fake marriage."

His face goes pale. "No one ever said something about marriage."

"Stuff changed", I only reply.

He seems to think about it, then drinks a bit from his whiskey. "Yes, they have." I think he curses once, before he adds: "Okay, let's do it."

"Excuse me?", I shout.

"Let's do it", he repeats, not sounding any bit more excited than before.

"You honestly would marry me?"

"You're the one who asked for it."

I still can't wrap my head around this. "Why are you doing this?"

"It's personal", he counters.

"I'm going to be your wife. At least allow me to know if I'm marrying a serial killer or something."

His mouth twitches minimally. "No serial killer. Just a guy who screwed up and is one step away from getting fired from the next season."

"What did you do?", I ask, actually worried. I don't even know for who, though.

He swallows hard, before he answers. "I fucked the president's daughter."

"You did what?!" I was honestly not expecting that.

"I fucked the president's daughter. Once. I ended it, she got pissed, and decided to make my life hell. She used to say she's pregnant, which she's not, but she was there at the fashion show in Paris. Which was the reason I was outside. She then spun a lie about me assaulting her at the show, and now my team is in trouble, so the team principal is close to firing me."

"I'm so sorry", I tell him, actually feeling sorry. "Did he.."

"No. My friends helped me and found footage of me through the security cameras covering the entire gala. But I made a promise to Duncan, my team principal, that I'll stay out of trouble, and I haven't."

I nod understanding. It's then he asks: "What about you?"

"Me?"

"Yeah. Why would a girl like you want to fake marry someone?"

"What do you mean by girl like me?"

"You're smart, you're pretty, I'm sure you have countless men wanting to be with you."

My cheeks blush for some reason. "No. I don't know." I take a very big breath. "I'm supposed to marry someone I don't like."

"So you marry a stranger in return?", he asks skeptical.

"Yeah", I let out convinced. Only the whole thing started making no sense in my head as well.

Levi only shrugs, and moves on: "I've been thinking about how we could do it. Do you need me to be somewhere or anything?"

"Yes. In March, on the 5th, you have to come to Cordelia with me for my Dad's birthday."

He doesn't seem so thrilled about it, but rolls with it. It's then I ask. "Do I have to be somewhere?"

"One of my races", he answers. "But the more you attend, the better."

I nod. "Does Aria attend the races?", I ask. If she's there, then at least I'll know somebody there.

"Yes", he answers.

"Then I'll come."

Levi nods. "Our first race is from the 29th February to the 2nd March in Bahrain. I could come for your Father's birthday, and we could then leave together to the second race."

I shake my head. "I have to stay at least a week. My best friend needs me."

He nods understanding. "Then come starting Australia. We could make our first appearance together at the Australian Open. The girlfriend of one of the other drivers competes there, so I could get us some tickets."

"Would you do that?", I ask him.

He nods.

"Thank you", I whisper. "Thank you so much."

"Of course", he replies. Then, after some time, he adds: "Let me take you out for lunch."

"As in, together?", I ask, that chill down my spine again.

Levi only lets out a chuckle. "That's kinda the whole thing of a marriage, dove. People do shit together."

I roll my eyes amused and stand up from the couch, taking my bag on the way.

"You're driving", I tell him.

He is smirking as he comes follow me, opening the door so that I can get out. "Yes, Ma'am"

I have no idea what I've brought myself into, giving a Formula One driver free rein over the ride.