chapter nine

chapter nine:

who's zoomin' who? S1 : E9

George had refused to leave his sister's side and had gotten himself kicked out of the psych ward two times

George had refused to leave his sister's side and had gotten himself kicked out of the psych ward two times. Cara was staying with Louise and Harold and Izzie, Alex and Meredith were trying to visit the ward atleast once a day.

Nadine was extubated the day after she was admitted and was just resting, she hadn't woken up yet but they were giving her body time.

Alex had secretly been sneaking up to her room when he was on the night shift, holding her hand and talking to her.

He knew it was unlikely that she could hear him, but on the of chance, he tried what he could to wake her up. 

Cara had thrown multiple tantrums wanting to see her mother but had been refused each time, the psych ward was no place for a child.

The chief had signed Nadine and George off on sick leave for the unforseeable future and George just wanted to work. Liam had been visiting Nadine when he could.

Her eyes blinked open as she looked up and found Liam looking at her. "Hey there, pretty eyes." He greeted, pressing a kiss onto her forehead. "You had me so worried." Nadine's eyes were empty and she just curled onto her side.

She reached out for his hand and grabbed onto his tight, tears leaked down her cheeks. "I've got you." He whispered, sitting besides her and wrapping his arms around her. "I think it's obvious, but us, we weren't just a one night stand for me, I like you, alot. When I saw you on that gurney, my heart stopped and I felt sick." Nadine kissed him softly.

A nurse walked in. "Miss O'Malley, you're awake." He smiled as Nadine and Liam sprang apart. "Shall I page your brother?" Nadine nodded as the nurse left, the two on the bed.

Within three minutes George was in the room, shocked at finding his sister in bed with an attending, crying on his shoulder. "My sister and m-my boss." He groaned. "What is it with the attendings and interns around here!?" Nadine smiled slightly as Liam left.

"I'm so sorry." She whispered as George hugged his sister tightly. She cried into his shoulder. "Cara asking about her dad, the rape victim, nightmares, it all got too much and I just, I needed a release." She whispered. "I let you down." 

George wrapped his arms around her as she sobbed into him, he rubbed up and down her back along her spine. "No you didn't. You're okay." He told his twin sister, he felt sick knowing his twin sister was struggling a lot more than she had let on. "I should have seen it." He told her.

Nadine's arms scrabbled to find purchase on his tshirt as she sobbed in his shoulder, soaking his shirt, but neither cared at that moment. "Cara, is she okay?" She questioned as George nodded.

"She's missing you, we all are. They said you can get out of here today." George told her as she smiled.

He helped her to her feet and into leggings and a hoodie, picked up her bag and slowly walked with her. Nadine started blinking and twitching as she paused, a hand to her head. "Sit down." George told her, taking a wheelchair and helping her into it.

"I'm fine." She told herself, as the two made their way down the walkway and out of the hospital. "Who knows?" Nadine asked, she didn't want to let everyone down.

George sighed. "The chief, shepherd, our friends, mom and dad, bailey and liam." He listed as she groaned.

Four hours later and she was in bed, George had gone to their parents to pick up Cara. Nadine was dozing on and off, interrupted by nightmares frequently.

"Mommy!" Cara yelled as she jumped onto her bed, arms wrapped around her neck. "You scared me!" She whispered as Nadine held on tight to her daughter.

Nadine wiped away a tear and smiled. "You did so good, I am so proud of you, my brave little girl." Cara smiled as the two curled up in the big bed, George climbing in too.

The two interns fell asleep almost instantly, the events of the past few days catching up to them. 

Two weeks had passed and Nadine could go back to work, having been cleared by a psychiatrist. 

She was anxious but pushed it asides, she had George, Liam and their friends, nothing bad was going to happen to her anymore.

She hoped.