Chapter Seven - I Wrote the Book

Indigo's POV
After baseball practice, I put my gear in my truck and drive over to the softball field for my little sister's game.

I sit down next to Ryman and my eyes wander over to the outfield where Piper Hardy is. She's been kind of avoiding me for the past two weeks and I know it's because of the kiss we shared at that party.

I watch her catch a softball in her left handed softball glove and then turns to throw it to one of the other outfielders. When her back is to me again, I shamelessly admire Piper's butt in her softball pants.

"Hey man. Whatcha lookin' at? Piper Hardy?" Ryman asks. I elbow my friend and give him a warning look.

"Dude, be quiet. Her parents are right there," I whisper, nodding towards Uncle Michael, Aunt Cassidy, and Beau.

"You know, you should talk to her after the game. Maybe even ask her out," Ryman whispers. I shake my head.

"I can't. Someone might see us, specifically our parents."

"Just talk to her when no one's around then," Ryman mutters, rolling his eyes. I sigh and nod.

"I guess so. Thanks Ry,"

"Of course,"

*

After the game, I find Piper putting equipment away. There's no one around so I figure it's the right time to talk to her.

"Hey Piper. Great game today," I mutter. Piper turns around to look at me and frowns.

"What do you want, Indigo." Piper says dryly, crossing her arms over her chest. I put my hands in my pockets and look down at my feet.

"Piper, I think I like you." I say. I look up to find Piper with a look of shock on her face.

"You like me? You mean, like like me?" She asks. I nod.

"Yeah. That's what I mean,"

Piper shakes her head vigorously as I walk towards her, taking her hand in mine.

"No. No way. You don't actually like me,"

"Yeah. I'm pretty sure I do. I think you're attractive," I argue. Piper sighs.

"But it would never work, Indigo. I'm a freshman and you're a senior,"

"And that won't matter once we're older. Age is just a number," I say. Piper scoffs and shakes her head.

"I hate it when people say that,"

"Come on, Piper. Please. I know you like me too. That kiss we shared was intentional, Piper. I know it was," I explain. Piper crosses her arms.

"Indigo, I—"

"Piper, let's go! Your grandparents are up from Mississippi and we're going out to dinner with them!" Uncle Michael calls. Piper sighs.

"I've got to go, Indigo. I'm sorry,"

"Call me after dinner, Piper. We need to finish talking about this," I whisper. Piper nods.

"Okay. Talk to you later," she mutters, grabbing her softball bag and jogging over to her family.

"Yeah. Talk to you later," I mutter, going over to join my family.

Emerson's POV
My brother stays pretty quiet during dinner and it kind of bothers me. Usually Indigo talks a lot, most of it about how well he pitched at baseball practice or make a rude comment about my softball playing abilities. Today, he's quiet and I'm pretty sure my parents find it strange too.

"Something on your mind, Indi? You've been really quiet," daddy says.

"Nah. I just had a really uneventful day, that's all." Indigo mutters.