Chapter Eight - Holy Smokes

Bailey's POV
Ten Years Ago
"What is your favorite thing about momma?" Austin asks. I laugh.

"Is everything an option?"

"No," Austin says, crossing his arms over his chest. I smile.

"Well, I love your momma's eyes and her beautiful smile. And her laugh,"

"Okay. And what don't you like about her?" Landon adds in. I frown and Harper walks in, eyeing me.

"Choose your next words carefully, Bailey."

"Well, I don't really like when she yells at me." I say, looking up at Harper and smile. Austin shrugs.

"I don't like that either," he mutters. Landon nods.

"Me too,"

"Well, you two better get to bed now or I'll yell at you." Harper threatens.

Austin and Landon hop up from the couch and sprint upstairs to their room. Harper and I laugh and Harper sits down in my lap.

"You really love all of that about me?" Harper asks.

"Of course. You're my wife and I love you so much," I say, kissing Harper on the lips. Harper smiles.

"Good because I would have yelled at you if you didn't mean any of that,"

"I believe you," I say with a laugh.

"Once the boys are officially in bed, I have a surprise for you." Harper says with a wink. My eyes grow wide and I get up from the couch. I sprint up the stairs to find the boys brushing their teeth in the bathroom.

"Hurry up, boys! It's past your bedtime!" I say. Austin and Landon both exchange a look and frown at me.

"No it's not," Austin says. I nod.

"Yeah it is. Now hurry up. It's time for bed,"

Harper walks up the stairs and laughs, rolling her eyes.

"Bailey, don't rush them."

"I'll rush them if I wanna rush them," I say teasingly.

When the boys are done brushing their teeth, I make sure they go to the bathroom and then I scoop them up, slinging them over my shoulders and carrying them to their rooms. I put them in their beds and tuck them in.

"Alright, now, can you say your nightly prayers yourself tonight?" I ask. Austin nods.

"Yep. I've been practicing,"

"Great. I'm gonna go check with your brother. Good night, Austin." I say, closing the door behind me.

"Night daddy," Austin replies.

I ask Landon the same question, but he tells me that he can't do it himself so I pray with him. Then I shut his door and tiptoe to my bedroom.

Harper's on the bed scrolling through her phone when I walk in. I shut the door as quietly as possible and get on the bed with Harper. Harper looks at me and frowns.

"What?"

"You promised a surprise," I reply. Harper laughs.