Chapter 19

Stefan tried to race over to Jeremy but Nik was faster, appearing in front of the Salvatore before he could even get close to the little Gilbert

"I wouldn't," the Original warned, his tone quickly turning friendly again. "Lucky for us, young Jeremy here is a bit of an artist."

"I'm not helping you with anything," Jeremy said defiantly, making Nik speed over to him and rip the Gilbert ring off of his finger.

"Oh, I'm afraid you are."

"Nik!" Ingrid yelled, speeding over to him and grabbing the ring. "He's not going to do shit if you keep threatening to kill him all the time."

Nik rolled his eyes and Ingrid turned to the Gilbert, glaring at the hybrid that was holding him until they let go. The hybrid stared down at the floor, refusing to meet their sire's eyes as Nik stared at them incredulously.

"I am sorry about this whole debacle, Little Gilbert. There are much better ways Klaus could have gone about this," the woman explained, her gaze deceptively friendly as she smiled over at him. "Please draw the hunter's tattoo, Jeremy. It'll help all parties involved, even your side. After all, I would hate to see anything happen to that Bennett witch you seem so fond of."

Her words seemed to get through to the little Gilbert, making him glare down at her as he reluctantly nodded. Ingrid turned to walk back over to Rebekah, grinning triumphantly in Nik's direction. Only moments later, the four vampires were sitting back at the table while Jeremy drew the hunter's tattoo. He was of course under supervision, like a child that couldn't go without a nanny. Nik continued his story about the hunters, drawing it out so much that Ingrid just wanted to blurt out the ending and get it all over with already.

"What did the hunter tell you his tattoo leads to? What's this great weapon that could bring about the end of the vampire species?"

"The cure. He said there was a cure," Rebekah finally answered, looking down at the table.

Ingrid squeezed her hand under the table, knowing how much the woman had wanted that cure. How much she had wanted a normal life, only for it to keep slipping out from under her.

"There is no cure for vampirism," Stefan denied, following Nik as he got up and left the room.

"They're telling the truth, Salvatore," Ingrid confirmed, getting up and following the group into the other room with a sigh.

"Then why wouldn't you have searched for it, found it?" Stefan angrily yelled.

"Because when the hunters drew their final breath that night the marks disappeared from their bodies. The map was gone, the Brotherhood of the Five extinct." Nik answered, pouring himself a drink. "For nine hundred years there was not a whisper of another hunter until our friend in there showed up in town."