Chapter 1

So that's what she did, Ingrid pushed all her emotions down in order to take care of the Mikaelson family

So that's what she did, Ingrid pushed all her emotions down in order to take care of the Mikaelson family. Her family. Even when Esther turned them into vampires, reluctantly turning Ingrid as well. Even when Mikael started chasing them to the very ends of the Earth. Even when Nik stuck a daggers into the hearts of his family, again and again and again. Ingrid wouldn't let herself feel any grief, or sadness, or even love for anyone else but the Mikaelsons. She pushed all her emotions deep within herself, not quite flipping the switch, but getting scarily close to it.

For a thousand years she stood by the Mikaelson's side, caring for them more than cared for herself. No one seemed to notice the war going on inside her head, no one noticed the toll it was taking on the woman. No one was ready for the day she would finally crack, no one but one.

Rebekah Mikaelson noticed something was off with her friend, but whenever she tried to ask about it Ingrid said she was fine and brush it off. Rebekah just thought she was upset about losing her magic but as the centuries went on the Mikaelson woman began to question if that really was the reason. When Ingrid first got daggered after questioning Nik's treatment of Katerina Petrova, Rebekah felt this sinking feeling in her gut and although she was surrounded by her family she had never felt so alone. She begged Nik to undagger her but he refused, his paranoia repealing any plea she may have made. Rebekah couldn't figure out why she seemed to care more than the rest of her family, she guessed she was just closer to Ingrid than any of them. They were best friends after all.

It took Rebekah a thousand years to discover that what she felt wasn't just friendship, but something more.

<><><>

Ingrid looked out over the town she used to know so well, but she could no longer recognize it. It was exhilarating to be back, albeit a little bittersweet, but she wasn't in Mystic Falls for fun, she had a doppelgänger to find.

Ingrid knocked on the door of the Gilbert house, a woman in her twenties answered the door and greeted the Original with a kind smile.

"Hello, I don't mean to intrude but my phone is dead and my car just broke down," Ingrid explained, motioning to her perfectly fine car at the side of the road. "Can I use your phone?"

The woman nodded and stepped aside, "Of course, come on in."

Ingrid smiled as she stepped into the house. The woman, who'd introduced herself as Jenna, pointed her to the phone and then retreated into the kitchen. Ingrid dialed the number that she now knew by heart and let out a chuckle when he answered at the first ring.

"You got into the Gilbert house?"

Ingrid scoffed and rolled her eyes, "What? No 'Hello, Ingrid' or 'How is your day going, Ingrid?' or even a 'You are the best Ingrid and I couldn't do anything with out you.' How rude."

She heard an amused sigh come from the other line before he replied in the most monotonous voice she'd ever heard.

"Hello, Ingrid. How is your day going? I am not saying the last one."

"I guess that's all I can hope for. My day is going splendid, thank you for asking. Yes, I am in the house. Did you think I couldn't do it?" Ingrid answered, keeping an eye on the kitchen as she spoke.

"I had my doubts, I must admit."

"Have a little faith, would you?"

"I try, but you are prone to being a bit reckless with some of your plans," he pointed out, the woman flipping off the landline at his words. "Goodbye, Ingrid."

"Goodbye, Elijah."

Ingrid put the phone down and walked over to the kitchen, where Jenna looked like she was cooking dinner.

"Thank you for letting me use your phone. I'll just go wait by my car."

"Are you sure? You can stay here until the tow truck comes," Jenna generously offered, but Ingrid had no reason to stay.

The woman was, after all, alone in the house. The Original would just have to come back some other day to catch a glimpse of the newest doppelgänger. That was something she could now do whenever she wanted, seeing as she's been invited in.

"No, thank you. You've been kind enough already,"Ingrid flashed the woman a big smile before she turned leave and as soon as she was out of the house she quickly got in her car and sped away.

When she got back to the house her and Elijah were staying in, the man was waiting for her by the stairs.

"What took you so long?" Elijah asked as soon as she walked through the door, worried since they had gotten off the phone more than an hour ago.

"I went out for a bite," Ingrid replied, rolling her eyes.

"Ingrid-" Elijah started, condescendingly, but the woman quickly cut him off.

"Don't worry Elijah, I don't mean it like that. I got a burger."

Elijah let out a laugh, "I should have guessed, you have always loved eating more than drinking blood."

"What can I say? Food is my weakness. Oh. And White Oak but that's pretty much it."

As Ingrid walked towards the stairs she heard Elijah let out a snort.

"What? Do I have something on my ass?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow at the man.

"No, you're forgetting a weakness."

"And what could that possibly be?" Ingrid stood looking down at him with a hand on her hip.

"My sister," the vampire froze, her face flushing when she heard Elijah's answer.

"What? I-Wha-I don't know what you're talking about," Ingrid stuttered, crossing her arms over her chest as her voice got steadily higher in pitch.

Elijah just shook his head, chuckling as he gave her a knowing look. Ingrid's face got even more red. She turned, chucking her coat at his head before speeding up the stairs to her room.

Was it really that bloody obvious?