𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐲𝐧 𝐈𝐬 𝐀 𝐕𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝, 𝐀𝐩𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲

London, 1970's

It was extremely late at night. Kathrine and I were sat in my mums living room. I had a can of coke in my hands. The cold condensation was making my hands wet. Kathrine had a glass of water in her hand. The ice cubes bobbed around in the tall glass, making a light clinking noise. I was sitting near the coffee table, with a battered, old A4 sketchbook in front of me. I started drawing my next dress to sew. It was a silk mini dress. I settled on a black silk, as I liked the way it would look in the light. As I was trying to think of what straps to use, the record on the record player across the room started to crackle.

"Can you flip the record?" I turned to Kathrine, laying on the sofa looking through an old catalogue.

Kathrine Bates, my best friend for over 14 years now. We met at primary school, at eight years old. We lived across the street from each other for basically our whole lives. I was 45 Colville Gardens; Kathie was 44 Colville Gardens. We went through first, middle, and high school together. We were – and still are – inseparable. She now works at a small hairdresser in central London. She is five foot eight, with long, straight, ebony black hair. She has dark, piercing green eyes. Above her eyes, she had, thin, arched eyebrows. She always wore flare jeans and band t-shirts. She also wore an old leather jacket we found in a shop when we were out together a couple of years ago. It became her favourite jacket because it reminded her of her mum. She now lives with her dad, George Bates, still at 44 Colville Gardens. However, I am currently working at a small clothing boutique, also in central London. I am five foot six with long, slightly waved, light brown hair. I have light, green-ish hazel eyes. Above my eyes, I had thick, dark brows. I was always making myself outfits. I wore dresses and coats. I always wore a long, black coat which reminded me of my favourite childhood book, Sherlock Holmes. I still live with my mum at 45 Colville Gardens.

"Yeah, I can." Kathie says, hoisting herself up, throwing the catalogue across the sofa. She stood up, walked to the small table near my television and flipped the record, 'Ticket to Ride' started to mumble and crack in the background. As Kathie sat herself back down on the chair, picking the large catalogue up and resting it on her stomach, my mum entered the room with two plates, piled with her homemade mince and dumplings.

"Hello girls," my mum began, her glasses steamed up from the food "Kathie! Hello, my lovely. I made you both some food, your favourites. Since its getting a bit late."

"Hi mum." I said tapping my pencil on my chin "Oh, thank you!" I continue, taking the plate from her hand.

"Hello Genevieve," Kathie says, lowering the book just enough to see my mum over the top. "Thank you, I was just going to ask for some food!" She laughs as she leans forward just enough to take the plate from her.

My mum is a very posh woman. She is always strewn with gold and pearls. She had a glamourous body for 45. Her legs were long, and her frame was slim and athletic. She had permed, blonde hair, always put up in glamourous updos. Her face was angel-like. She had bright green eyes and pink, rosy cheeks, and lips. She would always wear silk robes, dresses, or formal business wear. She was known around the neighbourhood for her popular business take off a few months back. She opened a tailoring business, specifically for women's clothing. She began to save up money after my dad moved out when I was around 9, and she was extremely successful.

She laughed at Kathie and then began to walk away to the kitchen. I sighed then turned to face my mum.

"Mum?" I asked, making Kathie's ears prick up. "Can me and Kath go to a bar tomorrow? Theres this new band I've been waiting to see for months!"

"Oh, Evelyn. Do not tell me you're on about that f-... stupid 'Smile' band again with the... dentist and... astronaut or whatever." Kathrine giggled and teased.