𝐊𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐲𝐧'𝐬 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐇𝐚𝐛𝐢𝐭𝐬

I woke up the next morning beside Kathrine. She was still fast asleep. I turned over and checked the time.

02:18am

Christ. Of course, it's two o' clock. I get up and go to the bathroom. I run some warm water over my face to attempt to make myself tired. It didn't work so I went back to Kathie's room. I lay down next to her and stare at the ceiling. I think of nothing.

Nothing at all.

Nothing. Not even a little bit of something.

Nothing.

Until I think of someone. I sit up and look over my shoulder to see if she's still asleep. I pick up the phone on Kath's bedside table and dial Roger's number. He's who I think of? Why? I don't know, but I dial his number. The phone line buzzes and cracks until I hear someone pick up fairly quickly.

"Hello?" I hear him. Roger. He's tired and his voice is hoarse and strained.

"Hello." I say. He clears his throat and I hear him sit up.

"Evelyn, what are you doing up?" He coughs.

"I don't know I woke up. What are you doing up?"

"I was bored." He laughs and takes a deep breath. He clears his throat again. "Why did you call me?" I laugh and sit on the side of the bed.

"I suspected you'd be up."

"Wow, smarter than you look, aren't you." He teases me and I just laugh.

"Oh, shut it, Meddows. You don't know what you're talking about." I fiddle with the corner of the pillow, and we sit in silence for a moment.

"I want to see you, Evelyn." He finally breaks the warm, still silence.

"I want to see you too." I sigh "But I'm busy today, moving stuff to my new place."

"Well, I should help you." He continues making me giggle.

"You can't, you have to help the boys. We only have five weeks till we leave."

"There's always time for you sweetheart."

"Sweetheart?" I laugh, folding my arms.

"Yes, you are."

"Hmm. O.K. Meddows." I smile and sigh again. He laughs and sighs too. "Well, I have to go now. I have to be up in a couple hours."

"Sorry love. I'll see you on Sunday."

"You will."

I'm still sat up in Kathrine's bed. She opens her eyes and rubs her head. She turns to face me and almost seems...surprised.

"What the fuck." She gasps. I just raise my eyebrows and giggle.

"You alright there?" She sits up and scratches her head.

"You are never up this early. What's gotten to you?" She smirks and chuckles.

"I was up last night. I couldn't sleep." Jesus, what a lie.

"Okay, well...should we just get food when we leave?"

"Yeah, that's fine." I say, sliding out from underneath the covers. I open Kath's wardrobe and find a silk white button-up and a patchwork skirt. I find a pair of my brown boots and decide it'll do. I put it on as she lies in bed and reads the newspaper. The thin paper rustles around the room. I zip up my boots and face Kathrine.

"What do you think?" I say, throwing my arms out and smiling.

She points at a brown leather jacket on the back of her door "Put that on." She turns another page and I grab the jacket from the door. I look in the mirror again and brush the jacket. I spin to face Kath again and she nods "I love it, get me something out. I'm going to make breakfast."