"Burn Marks"

No one really bothered to ask about last night. I received a few nudges and looks from Kath and Ru but other than that nothing. Roger was sneakily peeking at the sore purple marks on my neck. He decided the course of action for now was "don't tuck your hair behind your ears." Uh huh. With a best friend like mine, that won't work.

I was stood in a daze, stirring my coffee over a slice of toast. I felt as if I couldn't sit anywhere because... well. You know why. I sat in the dining room, glaring through the doorway to the kitchen, where my mum sat oblivious hemming a skirt for our neighbour's daughter.

I finished my toast and took my coffee upstairs. I placed it on my table as I looked through my remainder of clothes. I pulled on a flowy orange shirt which I tied in a knot at the front, an obnoxious amount of chest showing. I rummaged through the bottom of my wardrobe and found a short denim skirt. I pulled it on and shuffled it just so it sat on my hips. I tied up my converse and my necklaces, rings, belts and swapped my plain earrings for ones that I bought that looked like suns. I left my hair down, hoping no one would see the bright blue and purple bite marks on my jaw.

I did my usual makeup and grabbed my bag. Cigarettes, lip gloss, glasses, and money dropped into my bag as I made my way downstairs. I walked into the kitchen and wearily leant on the counter, my knees sore and my hips aching. I picked up the phone and dialled Kathrine's number. The phone line buzzed and crackled as the clattering of the telephone clunked as she picked up.

"What?" She said, knowing it was me.

"Can you drive me to the furniture shop?" I beam, my fingers crossed beside my thigh.

"Yeah, get ready-."

"I am." I interrupt, sounding a lot bitchier than I intended. "I'm waiting for you." I hang up the phone and turn to my mother, her sewing machine clattering and whizzing as she slid fabric through it.

"Are you going to pick up your things, Lana." My mother says, muffled as she holds four small pins in her mouth.

"Si. I'll be back." I grin and kiss her on the cheek before I leave. I walk through the house, my eyes fluttering as the golden sunlight leaks through the blinds. I unlock the front door and close it behind me, trailing down the steps, my shoulders becoming warm with the blazing sun. I walk down the path and straight into Kathrine's house. I walk up the stairs to her room. She's sitting reading a magazine on her bed, in her underwear.

"Hey." I say, the nonchalance dripping off my tongue.

"AHH WHAT THE FUCK!!!" She yelps, causing her dad to curse her as she leaps into the air. She stands up and rubs her brows with her fingers and letting out a long exhale. "Stop doing that, Evelyn."

"I'll consider it." I retort, wandering into her room, picking up trinkets and other things from every surface I walk past. "Anyway, get ready, I'm waiting."

She huffs and begins to get dressed. She pulls on a pair of high waisted denim shorts and a stripy t-shirt. She ties up a pair of Adidas trainers and cinches her waist as a belt. I ramble on in her ear about Roger – missing out... certain details – as per usual.

"Have you done it yet?" She giggles, brushing her hair in the mirror beside me. My eyes subtle widen and my face burns again. I shove my glasses up my nose just for them to slide down again. I clear my throat and swallow thickly.

"Uhm." I try to speak but nothing comes out. I think for a minute before my words come out at light speed and my eyes scrunch shut as I blurt it out. "Yeah, we did. But like- I don't know if he actually meant it." I covered my face and dragged my hands down to my stomach while I slowly leant backwards onto her bed.