𝐊𝐚𝐭𝐡'𝐬 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐲 𝐆𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐨 𝐂𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝐎𝐫 𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠

I lay in my bed, the olive-green sheets perfectly warm. I roll over to look at my bedside table. The set of pyjamas Kath had given to me sat perfectly folded on the floor and a half drank glass of water perched on the edge of the table. I turned back to the ceiling. I was clothed in nothing but my white tank top and pink laced underwear. I sit up, my back hunched against my bedframe. I let out a long sigh before hearing a faint knock on my door.

"Yeah...?" I rub my eyes and my voice is gravely. My mum waltzes into my room in her usual running attire. She comes in and sits at the foot of my bed, placing her hand on the duvet where my leg is.

"Alright Lana?" She sings, beaming a white smile at me. "When is Roger picking you up?"

"I'm extremely hungover, mum. And he's picking me up at seven." I try to force a smile, but my face just decides not to.

"Where's Kathrine going with her lovely John then?" She leans towards me, poking my arm. I shrug and open my eyes completely.

"I don't know. Probably church or something." I laugh at this a bit and surprisingly, so does my mum.

"Do you know where Roger's taking you? I want to know everything." She waves her arms and pats my leg.

"Mum! I don't know-." I'm interrupted by my phone ringing. I raise an eyebrow at my mum and she just shrugs. I pick up the phone and bring it to my ear. My nail taps the side of it and I sigh loudly. "Hello?"

"Hi Princess."

"Oh, hi Roggie. You, O.K.?" I wink at my mum who muffles her chuckle with her hand. Her gold rings glinting along with her neatly French-tipped nails from the golden sunrise.

"Yeah, I'm O.K. Just going to tell you to wear one of your best dresses tonight. I want you to remember it." He laughs faintly which makes me laugh.

"O.K...why?" I ask, still giggling. "Where are you going to take me?" I look from my window to my legs to my mum. She's staring wide eyed with a 'what did he say?!' kind of look. I shrug and hum at his mock thinking noises.

"Hmm. Can't tell you that, sweetheart. That's for me to know and you, my dear, to find out." He laughs and I hear him shuffle around.

"Dear? Roger we're in our twenties, not our seventies my love." I laugh and sigh. We say our goodbyes and hang up the phone. My mum bites her lip and smiles.

"So...?" She says, shaking my leg.

"He told me to dress nice and that everything is a surprise." I smile as feel heat rise in my cheeks. My mum lets out a horrible shriek and jumps into my arms. She lands right on my chest making me yelp in pain.

"I'll make you breakfast love." My mum says, kissing my forehead. "Also put some proper clothes on, you look a state." She winks and smiles before closing my door. I slide out of bed and open my wardrobe and pull open the interior drawers inside. I find an old pair of patchwork pants and a dark blue tank top. I throw on an old cardigan over the top and slide on my slippers. I knot my hair messily into a plait until I wash it later. I shove my glasses onto my face and take my notebook downstairs.

As I descend the stairs, the smell of a fry up fills my nose. I grin and open the living room door and walk through to the kitchen. I look at the clock on the wall – eight o' clock – and look at my mother. Her sandy hair is piled atop her head and a cloth headband lays down her fringe. She's guiding a spatula around the edge of a fried egg, cursing as a drop of oil spat at her face.

"Ooh, thanks mum." I wrap my arms around her and place my head on her shoulder. I sit at the breakfast bar and began to draw some more outfits. I drew some of Roger's and began to get carried away. My mind began to wander before my mother sat before me. She slid a plate with an egg, buttered toast, bacon, and sausages towards me. She interlocked her fingers and tapped my arm.